Unanswered: Error: Oracle client and networking components were not found

I am trying to query an Oracle 8i database through sql server 2000's query analyzer. I can query the Oracle db using TOAD and also have successfully run pass through queries into this same Oracle db using MS Access 2003 pass through queries. It is my understanding that you can conceptually do pass through queries using sql server using the OPENROWSET function. When I try to do so I get this error: "Oracle client and networking components were not found". My query is below. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

SELECT a.*
    FROM OPENROWSET('MSDAORA','DRIVER={ORACLE ODBC DRIVER};SERVER=MYSERVERNAME;UID=MYUSERID;PWD=MYPAS SWORD',
    MYSERVERNAME.DBO.MYTABLENAME) AS a

ddave

Provided Answers: 6
    i would guess you do not have the oracle driver installed on you sql server. you probably need the client tools on your sql server to access oracle from sql.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Provided Answers: 54
    Based on your message, I think that you have the Oracle client (and TOAD) installed on your workstation (which is also a Transact-SQL client which has MS-Access installed on it).

Query Analyzer is a client, much like TOAD. Transact-SQL is a server side scripting language, similar in some ways to PL/SQL.

OpenRowSet() is a function which executes in Transact-SQL, on the SQL Server. This means that the machine that is running SQL Server needs to have the Oracle client software installed in order for the SQL Server to be able to use OpenRowSet() to access an Oracle database.

-PatP

Thanks Pat. I think this may be the solution. I will ask the Sr. Systems Analyst.

Happy Holidays All.

ddave