Unanswered: Cannot restart SQL Server service

I recently installed SQL Server 2008 Express Edition with Advanced Tools.

This is the version information from SQL Server Management Studio
    Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 10.0.1600.22 ((SQL_PreRelease).080709-1414 )
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2000.085.1132.00 (xpsp.080413-0852)
    Microsoft MSXML 2.6 3.0 4.0 5.0 6.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11
    Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.50727.3053
    Operating System 5.1.2600

My OS is Windows XP Home Edition SP 2 Build 2600.xpsp.080413-2111

For a while I was able to start SQL Server Management Studio and connect to the default instance I had installed, but I could not install the sample databases (AdventureWorks).

I found online at MSDN a query that I ran inside SQL Server Management Studio. After that I was able to install the sample databases. This is the query:

EXEC sp_configure filestream_access_level, 2
    RECONFIGURE

After I successfully installed the sample databases, I cannot connect to the default instance anymore.
    In SQL Server Management Studio I open the Connect to Server box with these values:

Server Type: "Database Engine";
    Server name: "ICHIBAN\SQLEXPRESS" which is the correct name for the computer and the instance;
    Authentication: "Windows Authentication."

I get an error message that says "Cannot connect to ICHIBAN\SQLEXPRESS. Additional information: A network related or instance specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error locating server/Instance Specified) (Microsoft SQL Server)

My next action was to check SQL Server Configuration Manager. This is what I find there:

Name State Start Mode Log On As Process ID Service Type
    SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) Stopped Automatic NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService 0 SQL Server
    SQL Full-text Filter Daemon Launcher (SQLEXPRESS) Running Automatic LocalSystem 1988 Full-text Filter Daemon Launcher
    SQL Server Reporting Services (SQLEXPRESS) Running Automatic NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE 2040 ReportServer
    SQL Server Agent (SQLEXPRESS) Stopped Other (Boot, System, Disabled or Unknown) NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE 0 SQL Agent
    SQL Server Browser Stopped Other (Boot, System, Disabled or Unknown) NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE 0 SQL Browser

As you can see, SQL Server is stopped. When I try to start it manually I get this error message:

"The request failed or the service did not respond in a timely fashion. Consult the event log or other applicable error logs for details." The result is the same if I change Start Mode to Manual.

This is what I find in the Event Log for the System (these are just the top few lines):

Type Date Time Source Category Event User Computer
    Error 12/27/2008 2:30:15 PM Service Control Manager None 7024 N/A ICHIBAN
    Information 12/27/2008 2:30:15 PM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A ICHIBAN
    Information 12/27/2008 2:30:12 PM Service Control Manager None 7035 Larry ICHIBAN
    Error 12/27/2008 2:29:19 PM Service Control Manager None 7024 N/A ICHIBAN
    Information 12/27/2008 2:29:19 PM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A ICHIBAN
    Information 12/27/2008 2:29:16 PM Service Control Manager None 7035 Larry ICHIBAN
    Information 12/27/2008 1:32:40 PM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A ICHIBAN
    Information 12/27/2008 1:32:39 PM Service Control Manager None 7035 SYSTEM ICHIBAN

I saw something in a post about typing "net start <servicename> at the command prompt so I opened a command prompt and typed "net start sqlserver" . I received an error message "The service name is invalid. More help is available by typing net helpmsg 2185."
    I also tried "net start sqlservr" and "net start SQLEXPRESS" and got the same error message.

When I tried the helpmsge 2185 I was told "You tried to start a service that is not configured on this system. ACTION. Check the spelling of the service name or check the configuration information for the service using the Services option from Service Manager."

What is the service name for SQL Server service?

I googled EventID 7024 and found a forum where someone was told to not use Network Service as the service account for SQL Server service. I tried to change the service account to Local Service and got an error message: "WMI Provider Error [Call to WMI Provider returned error code: Ox800742a2]". I also tried to change it to Local System and my personal account and received the same error message.

Please help.

Go through the SQL server errorlog and eventviewer carefully you may find some clues

Provided Answers: 11
    Service name for the SQL Server service depends on the name of the instance (SQLEXPRESS in this case). Check in the Services applet for the correct spelling.
    As Rajganesh pointed out, your best bet for finding an error is in SQL Server's errorlog. Do a search on your machine for the file "errorlog".

This problem has been solved. (Yay!!!)

Thanks to you both for your interest in my problem. You should know that I did a complete uninstall/reinstall which seems to have solved the problem. I may never know what it was. I really appreciate the help I got here, and I will be back. Great forum!