Question Unanswered: Remove Autoincrement

Hi,

i have a field in a table that is autoincrement, i need to alter table and remove autoincrement from this field, what should i do ?

Alter Table myTable Alter Column myColumn bigint NOT NULL ?

are you sure you're using Microsoft SQL Server?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Presumably you are referring to an IDENTITY column. There is no way to remove the IDENTITY property from an existing column. You have to create a new column or create a new table.

we can't remove the identity column for exsting column.

once try like this
    right click on table --> design--> columnproperties-->identity specification

then keep no option then ur identityproperty will disable
    for new insertion of records u can give the required value

bklr, just to be clear. The process you described actually creates a new table, populates it, drops the old table and then renames the new one.

This is one way to create a new non-IDENTITY column but not necessarily the best way because it involves copying all the data and locking the entire table for the duration. That could be very expensive for large tables.

Also, bugs have been reported with the scripts produced by the design tool in Management Studio. I don't recommend that method for production systems. Better to create the script, test it and only then run the script on the target system.

ok, the best way i found is create a non identity column copy data from identity column to new created one , then drop the identity column.

was coool !