Unanswered: referring two databases on two different servers

Hi
    My connection string string is like this
    ConnString="Provider=SQLOLEDB; DataSource=xxxx;userID=sa;password=admin;initial catalog=yyyy"

my sql query goes like this

SELECT CONVERT(VARCHAR(8), GETDATE(), 112)+'-'+substring(com.container_no,1,11)+'-'+substring(cast(NEWID() as varchar(40)),1,3) as Container_ID,substring(com.container_no,1,11) as Container_No,com.Seal_No,com.Carrier,'IGuardTracki ng' as Entered_By,GETDATE() as Entered_Date,cotr.Origin,(select convert(varchar,com.Arrival_Date,101)) as Arrival_Date,(select convert(varchar,com.Arrival_Date,109)) as Arrival_Time from DehartGroup.dbo.Container_Master as com,DehartGroup.dbo.Container_Tracing as cotr where com.Container_No=cotr.Container_No and com.Seal_No=cotr.Seal_No AND COM.CONTAINER_NO not in (SELECT CONTAINER_NO FROM TBLCONTAINERS) AND COTR.CONTAINER_NO not in (SELECT CONTAINER_NO FROM TBLCONTAINERS)

The underlined database is in another server.How to refer it in my asp page
    how to add it in and refer using connection string
    so that i can put it in one page and use it in all the pages

Thanks and regards
    Ravi

Provided Answers: 10
    Create a linked server on the SQL instance you are connecting to (the one in your connection string) and then you can refer to it using 4 part naming
    Code:
    [other server name].DehartGroup.dbo.Container_Tracing
    George
    Home | Blog

hi
    I did the change as follows
    SELECT CONVERT(VARCHAR(8), GETDATE(), 112)+'-'+substring(com.container_no,1,11)+'-'+substring(cast(NEWID() as varchar(40)),1,3) as Container_ID,substring(com.container_no,1,11) as Container_No,com.Seal_No,com.Carrier,'IGuardTracki ng' as Entered_By,GETDATE() as Entered_Date,cotr.Origin,(select convert(varchar,com.Arrival_Date,101)) as Arrival_Date,(select convert(varchar,com.Arrival_Date,109)) as Arrival_Time from [xxx-xxx].DehartGroup.dbo.Container_Master as com,[xxx-xxx].DehartGroup.dbo.Container_Tracing as cotr where com.Container_No=cotr.Container_No and com.Seal_No=cotr.Seal_No AND COM.CONTAINER_NO not in (SELECT CONTAINER_NO FROM TBLCONTAINERS) AND COTR.CONTAINER_NO not in (SELECT CONTAINER_NO FROM TBLCONTAINERS)

The underlined is the server name
    But its throwing error as follows
    Could not find server 'xxx-xxx' in sysservers. Execute sp_addlinkedserver to add the server to sysservers
    Thanks and regards
    Ravi

Have you created the linked server?

Read the error message and take a guess at what you need to look up on google.
    George
    Home | Blog

hi
    I did the change as follows
    SELECT CONVERT(VARCHAR(8), GETDATE(), 112)+'-'+substring(com.container_no,1,11)+'-'+substring(cast(NEWID() as varchar(40)),1,3) as Container_ID,substring(com.container_no,1,11) as Container_No,com.Seal_No,com.Carrier,'IGuardTracki ng' as Entered_By,GETDATE() as Entered_Date,cotr.Origin,(select convert(varchar,com.Arrival_Date,101)) as Arrival_Date,(select convert(varchar,com.Arrival_Date,109)) as Arrival_Time from [xxx-xxx].DehartGroup.dbo.Container_Master as com,[xxx-xxx].DehartGroup.dbo.Container_Tracing as cotr where com.Container_No=cotr.Container_No and com.Seal_No=cotr.Seal_No AND COM.CONTAINER_NO not in (SELECT CONTAINER_NO FROM TBLCONTAINERS) AND COTR.CONTAINER_NO not in (SELECT CONTAINER_NO FROM TBLCONTAINERS)

The underlined is the server name
    But its throwing error as follows
    Could not find server 'xxx-xxx' in sysservers. Execute sp_addlinkedserver to add the server to sysservers
    Thanks and regards
    Ravi

Thank you for reposting exactly the same thing twice...
    Quote Originally Posted by georgev
    Create a linked server on the SQL instance you are connecting to
    Quote Originally Posted by georgev
    Have you created the linked server?
    Read the error message.
    I wonder...
    George
    Home | Blog

hi
    i am able to create the link server now
    but i want store it in a configuration string
    i stored in a variable then tried to execute the query
    as shown below
    temp=xxx-xxx

and the query is
    SELECT CONVERT(VARCHAR(8), GETDATE(), 112)+'-'+substring(com.container_no,1,11)+'-'+substring(cast(NEWID() as varchar(40)),1,3) as Container_ID,substring(com.container_no,1,11) as Container_No,com.Seal_No,com.Carrier,'IGuardTracki ng' as Entered_By,GETDATE() as Entered_Date,cotr.Origin,(select convert(varchar,com.Arrival_Date,101)) as Arrival_Date,(select convert(varchar,com.Arrival_Date,109)) as Arrival_Time from [temp].DehartGroup.dbo.Container_Master as com,[temp].DehartGroup.dbo.Container_Tracing as cotr where com.Container_No=cotr.Container_No and com.Seal_No=cotr.Seal_No AND COM.CONTAINER_NO not in (SELECT CONTAINER_NO FROM TBLCONTAINERS) AND COTR.CONTAINER_NO not in (SELECT CONTAINER_NO FROM TBLCONTAINERS)

thanks
    ravi

Code:
    CREATE PROC dbo.my_proc99 (
       @server sysname
    )
    AS
      BEGIN

IF @server = 'server1'
          BEGIN
            SELECT blah
            FROM   [server1].[db1].[dbo].[table1]
          END
        ELSE IF @server = 'server2'
          BEGIN
            SELECT blah
            FROM   [server2].[db1].[dbo].[table1]
          END
        ELSE IF @server = 'server3'
          BEGIN
            SELECT blah
            FROM   [server3].[db1].[dbo].[table1]
          END

END
    GO
    George
    Home | Blog

hi
    is it not possible to read it from a virable
    temp=xxx-xxxx
    and
    SELECT CONVERT(VARCHAR(8), GETDATE(), 112)+'-'+substring(com.container_no,1,11)+'-'+substring(cast(NEWID() as varchar(40)),1,3) as Container_ID,substring(com.container_no,1,11) as Container_No,com.Seal_No,com.Carrier,'IGuardTracki ng' as Entered_By,GETDATE() as Entered_Date,cotr.Origin,(select convert(varchar,com.Arrival_Date,101)) as Arrival_Date,(select convert(varchar,com.Arrival_Date,109)) as Arrival_Time from [temp].DehartGroup.dbo.Container_Master as com,[temp].DehartGroup.dbo.Container_Tracing as cotr where com.Container_No=cotr.Container_No and com.Seal_No=cotr.Seal_No AND COM.CONTAINER_NO not in (SELECT CONTAINER_NO FROM TBLCONTAINERS) AND COTR.CONTAINER_NO not in (SELECT CONTAINER_NO FROM TBLCONTAINERS)

thanks
    Ravi

Only by using dynamic SQL which I won't advocate for this situation.
    George
    Home | Blog