Unanswered: How can I find the date and time of effected record?

How can I find the date and time of inserted/edit/updat record on the table?

eg.
    Use TestDb
    Go
    INSERT INTO tblA (ID,Name) VALUES(11,'aaa')

Now i have to know the date and time...that record is effected on TestDb.

Provided Answers: 54
    I think that the best way to do this is to add a column to record the "last update date/time", and if you can't depend on the code keeping that column correct then add a trigger to force it.

-PatP

No no i don't want to add column because third party software create new db /tables/view etc. I have more than 30-35 db and each db has more than 2-3 hunders tables and views. So just i have to track in which db has insert/edit/delete record....can we get thoes information from system database or system tables?

Provided Answers: 1
    Short answer: No.
    Long answer: Nope.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

If you are using SQL Server 2008 you could enable Change Data Capture (CDC) for the table. The sys.fn_cdc_map_lsn_to_time function will return a transaction time for any change.

I don't think the same thing is possible using Change Tracking (CT) but I could be wrong because I'm more familiar with CDC than CT.

Provided Answers: 54
    Short of adding a column or running a Profile trace, I can't think of any way to get the time a row was last modified. Operative word being MIGHT, you might be able to work something out using replication to another database and establishing a "heartbeat" if you were really looking for something to help occupy your spare hours for the lifetime of this application.

-PatP

Red face

We have SQL SERVER 2005.

Thanks guys.