Unanswered: Move through rows in query

Afternoon peeps,

I need some help on a stored procedure I'm creating.

Here are the facts:

At work we have a web based CRM and amongst various details stored in the database (SQL Server 2000), it also stores actions created by users.

What I'm trying to do is setup a stored procedure that checks these actions.
    If they are not completed and overdue or not completed and are near the due date, I want to send an e-mail to the user to remind them or bring to their attention that it is overdue.

So I set about setting up SQL Mail and started creating the stored procedure.

Here is my problem:

So far I've got my stored procedure working, but it only gets one row of data from the query.

I fire off an e-mail with the details of the users action, but it only returns the details in the last row.

How do I select the details from each row in the query, rather than just one row?

Here is my procedure so far:

Code:
    ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[sp_CRMActions] 
        -- Add the parameters for the stored procedure here
    AS
    BEGIN
        -- SET NOCOUNT ON added to prevent extra result sets from
        -- interfering with SELECT statements.
        SET NOCOUNT ON;

-- SET Variables
        DECLARE @email nvarchar(50), @notes nvarchar(255), @subject nvarchar(75), @msg nvarchar(255), @rows int, @k int

IF (SELECT dbo.tblActions.acti_due_datetime    FROM dbo.tblActions WHERE (dbo.tblActions.acti_complete = 0) AND (dbo.tblActions.acti_due_datetime IS NOT NULL)) < GETDATE()
        BEGIN

SET @rows = @@ROWCOUNT
        SET @k = 1

WHILE @k <= @rows
        BEGIN
            SELECT @email = dbo.tblUsers.user_email
            FROM dbo.tblActions INNER JOIN dbo.tblUsers ON dbo.tblActions.acti_user_id = dbo.tblUsers.user_id
            WHERE (dbo.tblActions.acti_complete = 0) AND (dbo.tblActions.acti_due_datetime IS NOT NULL) AND (dbo.tblActions.acti_due_datetime < GETDATE())

SELECT @notes = dbo.tblActions.acti_notes
            FROM dbo.tblActions INNER JOIN dbo.tblUsers ON dbo.tblActions.acti_user_id = dbo.tblUsers.user_id
            WHERE (dbo.tblActions.acti_complete = 0) AND (dbo.tblActions.acti_due_datetime IS NOT NULL) AND (dbo.tblActions.acti_due_datetime < GETDATE())

SELECT @subject = dbo.tblActions.acti_subject

-- Insert statements for procedure here
            SELECT dbo.tblActions.acti_user_id, dbo.tblActions.acti_subject, dbo.tblActions.acti_priority, dbo.tblActions.acti_notes, dbo.tblUsers.user_email

SET @msg = 'An action you created in the CRM is overdue.' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) +
                       'Please go back and sheck the status of your action. Here is a description of the action:' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) +
                        @subject + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) +
                        @notes + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) +
                        'Regards,' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) +
                        'The MIS Team'

-- Send the e-mail
            EXEC master.dbo.xp_sendmail
            @recipients = @email,
            @subject = 'You have an overdue action in the CRM which needs attention!',
            @message = @msg;

SET @k = @k + 1
        END

END
        ELSE

SELECT dbo.tblActions.acti_due_datetime
            FROM dbo.tblActions
            WHERE (dbo.tblActions.acti_complete = 0) AND (dbo.tblActions.acti_due_datetime IS NOT NULL) AND (dbo.tblActions.acti_due_datetime > GETDATE())

SET @rows = @@rOWCOUNT
            SET @k = 1

WHILE @k <= @rows
            BEGIN
                SELECT @email = dbo.tblUsers.user_email
                WHERE (dbo.tblActions.acti_complete = 0) AND (dbo.tblActions.acti_due_datetime IS NOT NULL) AND (dbo.tblActions.acti_due_datetime > GETDATE())

SELECT @notes = dbo.tblActions.acti_notes

SELECT @subject = dbo.tblActions.acti_subject

-- Insert statements for procedure here
                SELECT dbo.tblActions.acti_user_id, dbo.tblActions.acti_subject, dbo.tblActions.acti_priority, dbo.tblActions.acti_notes, dbo.tblUsers.user_email

SET @msg = 'An action you created in the CRM is almost due.' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) +
                           'Please go back and sheck the status of your action. Here is a description of the action:' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) +
                            'The MIS Team'

-- Send the e-mail
                @recipients = @email,
                @subject = 'You have an upcoming action in the CRM which needs attention!',
                @message = @msg;

SET @k = @k + 1
            END

END
    Last edited by KevCB226; 01-06-09 at 11:29. Reason: Was table, now query
    <- Hides behind a rock.

Provided Answers: 1
    Are you sending off one e-mail per action, or one e-mail per user?
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

It's one e-mail per action.

Just realised I had put table instead of query, so I've corrected the post
    <- Hides behind a rock.

What is the value of @@ROWCOUNT after the IF (SELECT ... )?

I suspect it is 1, so you would only get 1 row before your @k is > @rows thereby ending your loop.

Try:
    Code:

select @rows = count(*) 
    from dbo.tblActions   
    WHERE dbo.tblActions.acti_complete = 0 
       AND COALESCE(dbo.tblActions.acti_due_datetime,getdate()) < GETDATE()

-- This is all just a Figment of my Imagination --

Provided Answers: 1
    Set up a cursor that selects the primary key of all the actions that need to be e-mailed. Then loop through the cursor, storing the primary key value in a variable and using it to filter and identify the rest of the information that needs to be included in the e-mail.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

I tried adding a cursor to the query before, but it told me I couldn't do this due to the local variables.

This is what I did:

Code:
    DECLARE overdue_cursor CURSOR
    FOR SELECT @email = dbo.tblUsers.user_email, @notes = dbo.tblActions.acti_notes, @subject = dbo.tblActions.acti_subjectFROM dbo.tblActions
    INNER JOIN dbo.tblUsers ON dbo.tblActions.acti_user_id = dbo.tblUsers.user_id

OPEN overdue_cursor
    FETCH NEXT FROM overdue_cursor
    <- Hides behind a rock.

That is not a valid cursor. The cursor declaration select the columns. The fetch assigns them to the variables.

Code:
    DECLARE overdue_cursor CURSOR FOR 
    SELECT dbo.tblUsers.user_email, dbo.tblActions.acti_notes, dbo.tblActions.acti_subject
    FROM dbo.tblActions
    INNER JOIN dbo.tblUsers ON dbo.tblActions.acti_user_id = dbo.tblUsers.user_id

OPEN overdue_cursor
    FETCH NEXT FROM overdue_cursor into @email, @notes, @subject
    WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0
    BEGIN
       <processing steps>
       FETCH NEXT FROM overdue_cursor into @email, @notes, @subject
    END

CLOSE CURSOR overdue_cursor

DEALLOCATE overdue_cursor

-- This is all just a Figment of my Imagination --

Thanks Tom, I'll give it a go tomorrow
    <- Hides behind a rock.

Thanks guys,

I've managed to get one of the the cursors working.

The second cursor works great, but the first cursor doesn't get run at all.
    I think it's the IF...ELSE statement causing the problem, as when I run the procedure I get this error:

Msg 512, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_CRMActions2, Line 18
    Subquery returned more than 1 value. This is not permitted when the subquery follows =, !=, <, <= , >, >= or when the subquery is used as an expression.
    The IF...ELSE statement was put in to determine whether the action is overdue or not.

Code:
    BEGIN
        SET NOCOUNT ON;

-- SET Variables
        DECLARE @email nvarchar(50), @notes nvarchar(255), @subject nvarchar(75), @msg nvarchar(255)

IF (SELECT dbo.tblActions.acti_due_datetime FROM dbo.tblActions WHERE EXISTS 
            (SELECT dbo.tblActions.acti_id FROM dbo.tblActions) AND (dbo.tblActions.acti_complete = 0) AND (dbo.tblActions.acti_due_datetime IS NOT NULL)) < GETDATE()
        BEGIN

-- Set cursor to run through rows in query
                SELECT dbo.tblUsers.user_email, dbo.tblActions.acti_notes, dbo.tblActions.acti_subject

OPEN overdue_cursor
            -- Get the values from the query and store them in the variables
            FETCH NEXT FROM overdue_cursor INTO @email, @notes, @subject
            WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0
            BEGIN
                -- Set the e-mail message
                SET @msg = 'An action you created in the CRM is overdue.' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) +
                            'The MIS Team'

-- Send the e-mail
                @recipients = @email,
                @message = @msg;
                -- Get values from next row
            END

CLOSE overdue_cursor

END
        ELSE

DECLARE upcoming_cursor CURSOR FOR

OPEN upcoming_cursor
            FETCH NEXT FROM upcoming_cursor INTO @email, @notes, @subject
            WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0
            BEGIN
                SET @msg = 'An action you created in the CRM is almost due.' + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) +
                            'The MIS Team'

-- Send the e-mail
                @recipients = @email,
                @message = @msg;
            END

CLOSE upcoming_cursor

DEALLOCATE upcoming_cursor

END
    Last edited by KevCB226; 01-07-09 at 07:53.
    <- Hides behind a rock.

Code:
       IF EXISTS (SELECT NULL FROM dbo.tblActions WHERE dbo.tblActions.acti_complete = 0 AND dbo.tblActions.acti_due_datetime < GETDATE())
        BEGIN
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

It's soo close and almost there, but still not quite right.

The select you posted (poots) has stopped that error, and it now works, but the else part of the statement doesn't work.

The following errors are returned:

Msg 16916, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_CRMActions2, Line 65
    A cursor with the name 'upcoming_cursor' does not exist.
    Msg 16916, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_CRMActions2, Line 67
    Msg 16916, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_CRMActions2, Line 87
    Msg 16916, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_CRMActions2, Line 89
    So I then copied the IF EXISTS and swapped the date filter around, which does get rid of the errors, but then I don't get any e-mails via the sendmail for actions that will be due in the future.
    I only get e-mailed about actions that are overdue.

Code:
    BEGIN
        SET NOCOUNT ON;

-- SET Variables
        DECLARE @email nvarchar(50), @notes nvarchar(555), @subject nvarchar(75), @msg nvarchar(755)

IF EXISTS (SELECT NULL FROM dbo.tblActions WHERE dbo.tblActions.acti_complete = 0 AND dbo.tblActions.acti_due_datetime < GETDATE())
        BEGIN

OPEN overdue_cursor
            WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0
            BEGIN
                            'The MIS Team'

-- Send the e-mail
                @recipients = @email,
                @message = @msg;
            END

CLOSE overdue_cursor

END
        ELSE
            IF EXISTS (SELECT NULL FROM dbo.tblActions WHERE dbo.tblActions.acti_complete = 0 AND dbo.tblActions.acti_due_datetime > GETDATE())
        BEGIN
            DECLARE upcoming_cursor CURSOR FOR

OPEN upcoming_cursor
            WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0
            BEGIN
                            'The MIS Team'

-- Send the e-mail
                @recipients = @email,
                @message = @msg;
            END

CLOSE upcoming_cursor

DEALLOCATE upcoming_cursor
        END
    END
    <- Hides behind a rock.

Why not open one cursor and test the date?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Wahey, it works!!.
    Thanks, I should of used that structure in the first place methinks
    <- Hides behind a rock.