Unanswered: help needed on username logon problem

hi, i have a bit of a problem....
    i'm trying to create a user name and password login screen and then to be able for the system to remember you.
    at the moment i have a table for customers with buttons and initials for the user on each button and they press the button and a macro runs to a command to stamp the date and time on their own fields and also fill in the owner field of the form with the initials of the user from the button pressed. this causes problems for whenever new people join the team i have to make new buttons etc.
    what i would like is at the start of the system a login screen with password and then when they take ownership of the record it stamps the time and date and initials but instead of it using the initials of the button pressed fromt the macro it uses the initials of the person who logged on to the system at the start.....
    this would stop me from having to create a new button each time and not have so many buttons on the screen with initials.
    so all i would need to do then is have a table with user name and passwords and initials so whoever they log on as it'll use that initial when they take ownership. ithis would also make it a lot easier for when people join the team or leave and i can addd their details quickly to the table isntead of creating new macros and buttons.
    if possible i would also like different usernames to have different access...i.e. the administrator to access the username table etc, and the other to access just the customer table

Provided Answers: 59
    why bother
    consider instead using the API calls that will retrieve the username form the current network logon
    there's some code in the code bank put there by PKStormy, or you could do a google for Dev AShish's API calls

the advantage of using the API call is that they are harder to spoof, don't require the the user to rememebr a new user/password comnbination for every app.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Agree with healdem completely (I'd be a fool not to, right ), and to clarify, I believe he's referring to this website.
    Me.Geek = True

Quote Originally Posted by nckdryr
    Agree with healdem completely (I'd be a fool not to, right
    there are some/plenty who may suggest you'd be a fool to agree completely with healdem After all this is a public forum, there's no guarantee that anyone's opinions on this forum are worthy of merit. there is no qualification standard or exam to become a contributor, moderator or whatever. Pat & Rudy are effectively da bosses, even though the site is owned by iNet Interactive.

Fundamentally anybody askign questions here should look at the suggestions offered and accept they are suggestions, and they may or may not be appropriate to the askers problem or experience. effectively its caveat emptor, except there's no emptoring going on...

cheers for the help guys, but the network we're on is a work network and its quite strict on what we do....will this retrieve our windows server logon username?
    And how would i then implement it so only those i give permission to access the DB?or have access to certains like and admin?

....it retrieves the network logon
    assuming you have a company policy one logon = one person
    leaving your workstation logged on whlst you are away from your workstation is an instant disciplinary

...you know who the person logged onto the workstation

within the windows security / workgroup file
    you create as many usergroups as you require for your app
    you create a user (with the same user Id as their network logon) for each user and assign that person to whatever group(s) you require.

having done that
    you then put some code in your app (say for each form or report which queries the workgroup file. and either permits or denies acess as required.

you can either request the permissions for a specific use, or go the other way and say does this person belong to group xxxxxx.

Ive got some code somewhere that handles all this sort of stuff... PKStormy may have a similar but different approach.

the real advantage is that you don;'t need to worry about passwords, you don't need to worry about deleting accounts.. thats handled by your netwrok trolls.. the do the messy detailed work, you just take the praise.

one thing to bear in mind though is this appraoch only truly becomes "secure" if you deploy the app as an MDE.. ie the users cannot access the code, otherwise a savvy user can circumvent the approach.