Unanswered: Cascading Drop-Down menu in Access

All,

Sorry, newbie posting here but after reading some related posts I have the utmost confidence someone can help me or get me pointed in the right direction.

Taking from some similar situations, here is my situation:

We are trying to create a Business Process Map form that can be distributed internally but internationally. Preferrably a web form but we'll take whatever at this point. So, for each Cycle Area there is a Macro Process. That Macro Process is a composite of Lower Level Processes. Those Lower Level Processes are composed of Activities and those Activities have Roles associated with them. Hopefully if I've explained this right you get an idea of how we are trying to display this information.

Essentially, I'm trying to create a form that would have a drop-down menu containing the Cycle Areas. When you select a particular Area, the respective Macro Processes for that Area would then populate the next drop-down menu. When you select a Macro Process it would then populate the next drop-down menu (Lower Level Process). After selecting a Lower Level process it would display the Activity (list box) and Roles (list boxes). I know this can be done but I've been beating my head for over two weeks now trying to figure out the easiest way to do so.

I'm whimpering at this point...admittedly, I'm incredibly rusty with Access so bear that in mind. Hopefully some good soul can help and I'd be incredibly grateful!!!

Provided Answers: 6
    I show a couple of basic techniques here:

Cascading Combos
    Paul

I'll try these examples and let you know; thanks for the response!

Unfortunately I still don't quite get the knack of it...so let me add a bit more information.

All of this information is in 3 tables.

The first table contains the Cycle field and Macroprocess field values.

The second table contains the Macroprocess field and Lower Level Process field values (the values in the LLP field are a numerical subset of Macroprocess, eg, if there is Macroprocess named MP001 then it would contain a Lower Level Process field value MP001-01).

The third table contains the Lower Level Process field, Activity field and Role field values.

I'm having a bit of a time as well finding a mechanism to group the fields in the appropriate order and relationship.

Thoughts?

Any chance of a sample db?
    Paul

Paul,

I have attached the sample DB that contains the relevant info. While the tables have been separated by data types, there is one table (Process Master - ALL) that contains the entire relationship string. Let me know if you have any questions and let me know if you can come up with any gems. Thanks!!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

The form in this is quick and dirty, but see if it does what you want.
    Paul

PAUL!!! Goodness gracious, that's almost exactly what I need!!! WOW! Oh my goodness, I'll sing your name to the rooftops of this forum, thank you so much!!! I'm sorry that I seem a bit too overjoyed, but that's the realization of many, many hours spent working on it. The last piece of the puzzle is getting the Activities and Roles per Last Level Process to display. How do I go about doing that?

LOL! The rooftops are used to hearing my name cursed, not sung.

Is this what you're after?
    Paul

Thumbs up

I can't say this enough: this is fantastic!! This presents the information EXACTLY the way we were looking for! Paul, massive kudos/props/thanks to you!! This does the trick and I seriously cannot thank you enough!

No problem, glad it helped you out.
    Paul