Unanswered: Group filter doesn't show all fields on Data Access Page

Hi

I am creating a data access page, using a group filter control.

The table i am using for the control has 344 fields. However the group filter control only shows the first 312 fields.

Is there a max number of fields a group filter control will show?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by ads2608
    The table i am using for the control has 344 fields.
    Are you sure you have 344 fields in the table? Do a Access Help search on "Access Specifications" and you'll find this:
    Quote Originally Posted by MS Access Help
    Attribute Maximum
    Number of characters in a table name 64
    Number of characters in a field name 64
    Number of fields in a table 255
    Number of open tables 2048; the actual number may be less because of tables opened internally by Microsoft Access
    Table size 2 gigabyte minus the space needed for the system objects
    Number of characters in a Text field 255
    Number of characters in a Memo field 65,535 when entering data through the user interface;
    1 gigabyte of character storage when entering data programmatically
    Size of an OLE Object field 1 gigabyte
    Number of indexes in a table 32
    Number of fields in an index 10
    Number of characters in a validation message 255
    Number of characters in a validation rule 2,048
    Number of characters in a table or field description 255
    Number of characters in a record (excluding Memo and OLE Object fields) when the UnicodeCompression property of the fields is set to Yes 4,000
    Number of characters in a field property setting 255
    Me.Geek = True

Sorry, my mistake.

The data for the control is in a query rather than a table.

I think I may have used the wrong terminology in saying "field".

What I have is a column in a query grouping football players. Other columns in the query show apperances etc.

There are 344 rows in the query.

On the data access page I want to filter by "player", but the filter only lists the first 312 players and not all of them.
    Last edited by ads2608; 01-08-09 at 16:51.

Quote Originally Posted by ads2608
    There are 344 rows in the query.
    Well that makes a little more sense

What's your code look like? Are you sure you're not doing a DISTINCT select or something?
    Me.Geek = True

Sorry, I'm quite new to Access, so excuse my misuse of any terminology.

Alot of my database is being produced by trial and error. All my queries etc. are done in Design View rather than by SQL.

I'm not sure what you mean by "my code" and I don't think it would be a DISTINCT select. My query only groups by PlayerID and the data acess page uses the Group of Player ID as the filter.

To look at your SQL, when looking at your query in design view, goto the View menu and hit SQL View. This will show what that fancy Design View interface is really doing in the background, it creates this text which is the SQL language. Take a look at it and post what shows up, we'll try to do our best to help you sort it out.

And for a good tutorial on Access and SQL, check out Martin Green's six lectures.
    Me.Geek = True

The Code on my query is as follows:

SELECT PLAYERS.PLAYERID, [Total Appearances without season].[CountOfGames Played] AS [Total Appearances], [Total Sub Appearances without season].[CountOfGames Played] AS [Total Sub Appearances], [Total Goals without season].SumOfGoalsScored AS [Total Goals], [Total League Appearances without season].[CountOfGames Played] AS [League Appearances], [Total League Sub Appearances without season].[CountOfGames Played] AS [League Sub Appearances], [Total League Goals without season].SumOfGoalsScored AS [League Goals]
    FROM ((((PLAYERS INNER JOIN ([Total Appearances without season] LEFT JOIN [Total Sub Appearances without season] ON [Total Appearances without season].PLAYERID = [Total Sub Appearances without season].PLAYERID) ON PLAYERS.PLAYERID = [Total Appearances without season].PLAYERID) LEFT JOIN [Total Goals without season] ON [Total Appearances without season].PLAYERID = [Total Goals without season].PLAYERID) LEFT JOIN [Total League Appearances without season] ON [Total Appearances without season].PLAYERID = [Total League Appearances without season].PLAYERID) LEFT JOIN [Total League Sub Appearances without season] ON [Total Appearances without season].PLAYERID = [Total League Sub Appearances without season].PLAYERID) LEFT JOIN [Total League Goals without season] ON [Total Appearances without season].PLAYERID = [Total League Goals without season].PLAYERID
    GROUP BY PLAYERS.PLAYERID, [Total Appearances without season].[CountOfGames Played], [Total Sub Appearances without season].[CountOfGames Played], [Total Goals without season].SumOfGoalsScored, [Total League Appearances without season].[CountOfGames Played], [Total League Sub Appearances without season].[CountOfGames Played], [Total League Goals without season].SumOfGoalsScored
    ORDER BY [Total Appearances without season].[CountOfGames Played] DESC;

Quote Originally Posted by ads2608's First Post
    The table i am using for the control has 344 fields. However the group filter control only shows the first 312 fields.
    How did you calculate the 344 if it returns 312?

Since you have a GROUP BY clause, are you sure you don't have any duplicate records? If you need to check, Access has a "Find Duplicates Query Wizard" when you go to create a new query.

Oh, and just for future reference, you'll save yourself a lot of headaches in the long run if you don't use spaces in the names of tables, fields, or pretty much any object name. Most people either use camelCase or underscores.
    Last edited by nckdryr; 01-12-09 at 15:56.
    Me.Geek = True

Sorry if I'm not making this very clear.

When I run the query with that code, it lists 344 different players in the PlayerID column.

I then have designed a Data Access Page using the data from the query.

The PlayerID is then set up as a group filter control using a drop down list to select a Player's information. However only the first 312 players (I counted them) are shown. I would like to select them all.

Thanks