Question Unanswered: Paradox availability & use

I am switching from a Windows 98 system with Corel Office 10 including Paradox to a new system using Windows Home premium. (My wife uses an XP system with Corel Office 11 without Paradox).
    I have followed the discussions on this forum about which versions of Paradox can be used with Vista (advising use of Paradox 9 with fixes described), and also spoken to a Corel sales rep. recently who said X4 pro could be used with the addition of a downloadable 'patch'.
    In the last day or so, I have been surprised to note that Corel no longer refers to Office X4 Pro on its website and I cannot find any mention of Paradox X4 (ie Paradox 11.0.0.411 shipping with Office X4 pro).
    Is Paradox 9, or perhaps 10 still the recommended option and preferable to anything later? I hope to be able buy something soon to avoid keeping the old computer active just to use Office Files (WP, QP and P).
    briansg:

Brian..

first, none of the Vista issues were show-stoppers.. and we have no idea if that new patch is gonna help or hurt, because we have no reports from the field yet..

to most of us, Vista itself is the show-stopper, not the things we try to run on it..

as for versions, most of the long-time developers use 9 or 10.. mostly 9.. 10 only added a handful of very narrow new functions.. 11, which is what all the newer suites have, is just an SP more than 10.. two SP now, in theory..
    --
    Steven Green - Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

http://www.OasisTradingPost.com

Oasis Trading Post
    - Collectibles and Memorabilia
    - Vintage Lego Sets and Supplies
    - and Paradox Support, too

Thanks Steve.
    I find it strange that Corel appear to have pulled all mention of Paradox off their website and a search on 'database' draws a blank!
    Incidentally, I take it that I can assume from what you say that files saved from Corel WP Office 10 will open in WP Office 9 if that is the route I have to go (especially IF Corel no longer market Paradox).

the last table level was 7, and all versions since then use level 7 tables.. all forms, reports, etc. can be re-saved in the earlier version, as long as they just use stuff that the prior version had..
    --

Oasis Trading Post

Paradox availability

Thank you.

I have not used any novel features as far as I know so I think I will try Office 9 Pro if I can find a copy.

Otherwise, I might have to investigate getting a copy of Office X3 or X4 standard and then using Paradox 10 from my 'old' Win 98 machine. .

I have finally managed to find some references to Paradox X4 remaining on the Corel website by searching for Office X4 Professional - including one page for use by Reviewers which I read as saying that, at the time of writing, it did not work with Vista.

I will try Office 9 Pro if I can find a copy

I'm out right now, but I saw one on ebay for about $130.. a bit pricey, but they're getting harder to find..

I might have to investigate getting a copy of Office X3 or X4 standard and then using Paradox 10 from my 'old' Win 98 machine

why do you need the newer suite w/o paradox?

I have finally managed to find some references to Paradox X4 remaining on the Corel website

I haven't been on the Corel site in a long time, but having trouble find any mention of Paradox isn't new.. that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.. Paradox is part of every suite since suite 7, p11 is part of every suite since suite 11, and will remain in their future suites..
    --

Oasis Trading Post

Paradox availability

You regard $130 as pricey for Office 9 Pro, but a Corel telephone salesman quoted me over 300GBP for Office X4 Pro including a license, notwithstanding that I am a long-time existing home user of Corel Office for private purposes.
    I would expect to be able to purchase X3 or X4 Standard Office and a home user license for substantially less than this. Hence my possible interest in adding an earlier version of Paradox to a recent Standard Office.