Question Relational Database Design

Hi I'm currently enrolled on the first year of a software engineering degree and one of my modules, Information Systems requires me to design a relational database in a word processor (using a table) based on a case study (which I have linked to if it helps to understand by post) What I'm unsure of is how I identify repeating groups to form 1NF and can 1NF contain more than 2 databases?

Thank you.

Case Study.pdf

Smush - linking to your coursework with no evidence of any effort made on your part is a bad start here.

I would attach the file rather than link if i were you.
    Can you show what you have come up with so far?
    Quote Originally Posted by Smush
    can 1NF contain more than 2 databases?
    This is confusing terms - 1NF is not a container of anything, let alone databases.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

I'm not asking for anyone to do it for me... I just need help with identifying repeating groups in relation to my case study which is why I linked to it (how else?) I have watched an online lecture on YouTube where the example is using customer orders, I look at my case-study and just don't understand how to apply that understanding. And what do you mean by 1NF isn't a container of anything? Would you want me to link to my own attempt at this, is that what you mean by "no effort on your part"?

If I have done something wrong I haven't done it intentionally...
    Last edited by Smush; 01-09-09 at 19:02.

The problem we have here Smush is people expecting exactly that - expecting their homework to be done for them.
    We can guide and prompt and hint, but no more. Your response is just right, so we can move on positively.

Yes please - can you show what you have got? Identifying repeating groups is probably the last thing you do to achieve 1NF so it would be interesting to see what you have done so far.

You asked "can 1NF contain more than 2 databases?". 1NF is the first in a series of steps towards producing a good relational design. As such, 1NF cannot contain more than 2 databases. It cannot contain 1 database. It contains nothing - it is not a container, it is a definition.

Paraphrasing Date (esteemed writer on relational databases), "normalisation is just formalised common sense".

So far are your study materials limited to a video from youtube? Did your lecturer not give you any info?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

I have uploaded the case study again (along with my 2 attempts 'RDA' and 'RDA2' because one may be more along the right lines than the other) as I didn't see the attachment icon and File Factory is a pain if you aren't a member.
    I didn't submit my attempts to begin with because It looks totally wrong so it's a bit embarrassing.

I do have two lecture PowerPoint slides which uses another two examples that's about it. The lecturer doesn't really make much of an effort to explain things clearly, the examples and notes were created awhile ago and they haven't bothered to update it for this year so it's like; "This is the concept you need to aim for except it's slightly different"
    I understand the lecture slides based on it's own case study but mine appears differnt to the various examples I have looked through which is leading to my confusion.

In all fairness the YouTube videos make more sense to me as I was also stuck with Entity Relationship Diagrams, with the 1 to many etc proceedure but I overcame that with a YouTube video from the same lecturer (whether it's correct I'll have to wait and see). Although again it was a differnt concept so I had to take the info in and manipulate it to the style required by my institution.

Thank you.
    Attached Files Attached Files