Unanswered: Frontend For Sql 2000

hi
    I have a sql server 2000 runing on windows 2000 server machine. I want to put a simple front end for a DB which is on this sql server 2000, so that users on network can be able to edit the DB. Is there any front end which is very simple like MSACCESS. OR
    If there is any simple front end and if that wont work to edit on network...
    atleast If that works for local machine that should be fine. Your response is greatly appreciated.

Provided Answers: 1
    You can use Access as a simple front end to SQL Server.
    I'd recommend creating and Access Data Project (ADP file) rather than a standard Access database with linked tables.
    Note, they have "hidden" the ability to create ADP files in Access 2007, but it is still there. Rather than check a box or select an option for creating ADPs, you just name the file with an ADP extension. Stupid, but this is Microsoft for you.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Provided Answers: 10
    I think that's because ADPs are deprecated..?
    George
    Home | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by blindman
    You can use Access as a simple front end to SQL Server.
    I'd recommend creating and Access Data Project (ADP file) rather than a standard Access database with linked tables.
    Note, they have "hidden" the ability to create ADP files in Access 2007, but it is still there. Rather than check a box or select an option for creating ADPs, you just name the file with an ADP extension. Stupid, but this is Microsoft for you.
    Hi Thanks for the reply.....
    But Can I do this in server client environment...
    Let us say I have 10 clients and all of them using access 2003/2007. Will they be able to connect by using adp to the server where sql DB is running?
    Pls reply

Yes but ADP is history now. Microsoft don't recommend it for new developments.

.NET is probably the most popular development language for SQL Server these days. Having said that .NET plays better with 2005/2008 than 2000. You realise SQL Server 2000 is out of its "mainstream support" phase? Now is the time to be planning upgrades rather than building new things on top of it.
    Last edited by dportas; 01-14-09 at 11:15.

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by dportas
    Yes but ADP is history now. Microsoft don't recommend it for new developments.
    ...which I can add to my ever-growing list of why Microsoft sucks. MS has this odd insistence on removing the most useful features of its products. ADPs were one of the last reasons to use MS Access.
    But again, you can still create and use ADPs in Access 2007 by simply naming your new database with an ADP extension. This just isn't documented very well.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Develop a web app

Quote Originally Posted by desiinusa123
    hi
    I have a sql server 2000 runing on windows 2000 server machine. I want to put a simple front end for a DB which is on this sql server 2000, so that users on network can be able to edit the DB. Is there any front end which is very simple like MSACCESS. OR
    If there is any simple front end and if that wont work to edit on network...
    atleast If that works for local machine that should be fine. Your response is greatly appreciated.
    Not sure what exactly you want your folks to be able to do, but your best bet may be contracting someone to write a simple web application for you, that way you can limit exactly what you want people to be able to do. Also once you upgrade to 2005/2008, it'll be a minimal change to update the application rather than having to re-write it. Bonus for the fact that this can be developed using basically any modern language (.net, php, classic asp, etc). You also don't have to distribute a desktop app this way, it's all on the web.