Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: SQL Lite Speed - Good Product ?

I have some large databases 200+ GB that get backed up nightly, but I'm starting to have issue with the Infra guys and Veritas. Is SQL Lite Speed a product in which I'll see significant improvement in terms of backup times ?

thanks, they have a 15 day trial, I just wanted to get some real life answers before I begin.

Never used personally, although we trialled it here. It has an excellent reputation. You will defo notice a speed difference. Note that SQL 2008 has compressed backups as standard.

Out of curiosity - when's the last Veritas backup you have successfully restored?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump
    Never used personally, although we trialled it here. It has an excellent reputation. You will defo notice a speed difference. Note that SQL 2008 has compressed backups as standard.

Out of curiosity - when's the last Veritas backup you have successfully restored?
    A couple of weeks ago, but most of my restores I get from the previous night, which is still on disk. Is there an issue we should know about ?

2008 ? We're still trying to get to 2005.

Thanks

Are you currently backing up to disk using BACKUP command then using Veritas to sweep to tape or something? I thought you were just backing up the file system and thinking that would cover your ldf & mdf. A lot do....
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump
    Are you currently backing up to disk using BACKUP command then using Veritas to sweep to tape or something? I thought you were just backing up the file system and thinking that would cover your ldf & mdf. A lot do....
    No, nightly Full DB backups via Backup database..., idx reorg, updstats, etc., then Veritas to tape. Believe me, if I had the window, I would shutdown, and do a cold backup of the mdf and ldf files.

Provided Answers: 11
    It is a good product. I would avoid using it at peak performance times, as it will run the CPU up a bit. That is the cost of smaller backups.

Provided Answers: 54
    I love lightspeed! Lots of options, good support, phenominal performance.

The guys that designed and built LightSpeed used to work for Microsoft (doing SQL Server backups). The "fit and finish" matches perfectly. Oh yeah, LightSpeed happens to be the compression used by SQL 2008.

-PatP

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    I love lightspeed! Lots of options, good support, phenominal performance.

The guys that designed and built LightSpeed used to work for Microsoft (doing SQL Server backups). The "fit and finish" matches perfectly. Oh yeah, LightSpeed happens to be the compression used by SQL 2008.

-PatP
    How is cost structured for the product ?, I'll probably start with one server, that has my 2 largest databases. Does it have a scripting capability that can be called from an Agent job/cmd script ?

Provided Answers: 11
    Not sure on cost. I do know that Lightspeed is based mainly on a few extended stored procedures, so you can script many things. It takes a few minutes to get the new syntax, but they kept it as parallel to the BACKUP and RESTORE syntax as they could.

Yeah - Tara's backup script accounts for lite speed:
    Backup databases stored procedure - new version

Ah - lite speed! I just got it! Now that's funny.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Litespeed vey good tool , we have used in many PROD server with size more than 800GB also , Increasing the compression level alone will utilize the CPU . Litespeed does not help much when there is Image data exist in the DB

There are several other products out there that are as good and less expensive. SQLbackup from Redgate is one. I used LiteSpeed when it was the only third party tool out there doing compression. Great tool. When licensing time came again, I looked around and brought in SQLBackup. Cheaper to purchase and the cost savings on the annual fees were substantial. Both products cut backup and restore times by about 70% and compression of a 250Gb db was around a 30Gb backup file. I think SQLBackup also allowed table level restores (maybe litespeed as well by now). Demo them both and any others that are out there and see what provides the most bang for the buck.

Edit - hyperbac has tool as well but I've never used it.
    Last edited by tosscrosby; 01-16-09 at 18:02.

Not sure if I am doing something wrong (test SQL Litespeed), but restore seems godawful slow

What took 6:23 with native restore, is at 8:38 without 10 percent message yet.

Actually took 10:32, it is a known fact for SQL LS being slower with restores ?

exec master.dbo.xp_restore_database
    @database = 'RiskShieldTEST',
    @filename = 'E:\MSSQL\DBBackup\RiskShield_LITESPEED.BAK',
    @with = 'replace',
    @with = 'move "RISKSHIELD" to "E:\MSSQL\Data\RISKSHIELDTEST.mdf"',
    @with = 'move "RISKSHIELD_Log" to "E:\MSSQL\DBLogs\RISKSHIELDTEST_Log.ldf"',
    @with = 'STATS=10'
    Last edited by PMASchmed; 02-18-09 at 15:20.

Provided Answers: 54
    If you are restoring a "new" copy of a database, then SQL Server needs to prepare and initialize the (MDF and LDF) files as usual. This initialization takes a long time compared to how long Litespeed takes to restore the backup.

-PatP

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    If you are restoring a "new" copy of a database, then SQL Server needs to prepare and initialize the (MDF and LDF) files as usual. This initialization takes a long time compared to how long Litespeed takes to restore the backup.

-PatP

The native SQL restore included the initialization phase too, it's an apples to apples compare. I would suspect the decompression adds a little overhead too.