Unanswered: Upgrade from DB2 8.x to DB2 9.x

Will the option of backup and restore work?
    I mean if I use the backup option in DB2 8.x and restore this database in 9.x will it work?

9.5 documentation says :

"Restoring full database offline backups from DB2 UDB Version 8 or DB2 Version 9.1 is supported. However, rolling forward of logs from a previous level is not possible. Review Backup and restore operations between different operating systems and hardware platforms for complete details about migration support using the RESTORE DATABASE command.
    "
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Thanks for the information. But one of the IBM sites DB2 Universal Database
    mentions : "The restore utility can also be used to restore backup images that were produced on a previous version of 9 DB2 UDB (up to two versions earlier) " .
    So I have v 8.2 and now migrating to 9.5 shouldn't be a problem as per the 9.5 documentation.
    What about versions after 9.1 ? 9.2,9.3 and 9.4?

Provided Answers: 11
    these are releases
    it is version.release.modification level
    8 and 9 are the version
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

I haven't heard any product officially called 9.2,9.3 or 9.4 ...

If you can migrate 8.2 to 9.5 , I don't see a reason why you will be unable to migrate to 9.1,9.2,9.3 or 9.4 ...

Check the documentation for 9.1 though

The link you have given is for 8.2 ... These things change from one version to another. If you are planning to migrate to 9.5 using a previous version's backup, then you will have to check the 9.5 manual to ensure the resotre is supported.
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

There is no 9.2, 9.3, or 9.4 becasue 9.5 was a significant release in parallel with 9.1 so they skipped some numbers.

So you have 9.1.0 (GA), 9.1.1, 9.1.2 up to the current fixpack of 9.1.6

On version 9.5 there is 9.5.0 (GA), 9.5.1, 9.5.2, 9.5.3 (there is actually FP 3a also but I think it is also called 9.5.3).
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

DB2 Insert query

Hi,

Thanks for all your explanations , it was really helpful.
    Another problem I'm stuck with is as follows:
    I want to transfer all data from a table in say 'A' database to table in 'B' database
    say for eg the follwoing query works if both the schemas are in same instance but how can it work if the schemas are in 2 different instances.
    INSERT INTO XYZSCHEMA.TABLE1 (
    .......)

SELECT
    FROM ABCSCHEMA.TABLE1;

Hi,
    I have migrated database v8.2 fixpack 11 to v9.5 fixpack 2 last week and there is no problem. The only think is you should execute off-line backup (on-line backup is not supported). Restore is the same.

If you would like to insert data from one database and make a select to another, you have to use federation. Try seaching Google for DB2 Federation. We have used this approach for more then 5 years connecting together DB2/Linux zServer with DB2/VSE zServer. There was some performance problems with this too combination, but it was working without any other big problems. We are very happy now, last year we have migrated all data from DB2/VSE to DB2/zLinux and performance boomed.

Regards

Hi,

Thanks a lot!
    I have been searching a lot on google since last 2 days, but could not find any trial version for DB2 federation.
    I have DB8.2 server edition, so how can I get this federation installable.
    Could you please give me some more information.

Federation for DB2 (and IIRC, Informix) is part of the base product ... You do not have to install them ..

BTW, start a new topic on federation if you have further questions .

Cheers
    Sathyaram

DB2 version upgrade from V8FP16 to V95 FP3a-Need Help

Hello All,
    We have a zlinux application whose DB2 version is upgraded from V8fp16 to V95 fp3a on the Test environment.

Since the time we have upgraded this we are having some or the other issue
    with testing the application properly.

Currently we are having an issue with fetching data from an upstream application, an insert to a table is unsuccessful due to below error, a field is unable to handle this large data. The problem is , the data is not Bad and is being handled in PROD environment correctly.

This has happened since the version is upgraded and hence not allowing such Values.

Please help as to what should be a probable solution to handle such values, does any configuration or system settings need to be changed... ??

An early response is expected..Thank you !!

Please find the Error Below.
    The command was processed as an SQL statement because it was not a
    valid Command Line Processor command. During SQL processing it returned:
    SQL0433N Value "L" is too long. SQLSTATE=22001

SQL0433N Value "L" is too long.

Explanation:

The value "<value>" required truncation by a system (built-in) cast or
    adjustment function, which was called to transform the value in some
    way. The truncation is not allowed where this value is used.

The value being transformed is one of the following:
    * an argument to a user defined function (UDF)
    * an input to the SET clause of an UPDATE statement
    * a value being INSERTed into a table
    * an input to a cast or adjustment function in some other context
    * a recursively referenced column whose data type and length is
    determined by the initialization part of recursion and may grow in
    the iterative part of the recursion
    * an XML data value being serialized to the output by XMLSERIALIZE
    function.

The statement cannot be processed.

Quote Originally Posted by grofaty
    Hi,
    I have migrated database v8.2 fixpack 11 to v9.5 fixpack 2 last week and there is no problem. The only think is you should execute off-line backup (on-line backup is not supported). Restore is the same.

If you would like to insert data from one database and make a select to another, you have to use federation. Try seaching Google for DB2 Federation. We have used this approach for more then 5 years connecting together DB2/Linux zServer with DB2/VSE zServer. There was some performance problems with this too combination, but it was working without any other big problems. We are very happy now, last year we have migrated all data from DB2/VSE to DB2/zLinux and performance boomed.

Regards

Hello,
    My zlinux application whose DB2 version is upgraded from V8FP16 to V95FP3a on my Test environment.

when I try to test the application its gives an Error of :
    "Unicode, Language issue or inputfile does not match the UTF-8 format: sun.io.MalformedInputException "

Please help me in resolving this Error, as this is an urgent issue to be fixed.