Thread: autoresize

Question Unanswered: autoresize

Hi,
    I am using db2 v9.5 ESE on windows.
    I can see a default tablespace 'tempspace1' having
    automatic storage=yes
    autoresize=no.
    I dont understand, when autoresize is set to 'NO' how will system manage storing data automatically. can anyone plz. explain?

Automatic storage will handle it for you. Autoresize is when you don't have automatic storage.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

then why does some tablespaces have both autoresize and automatic storage set to 'yes'???
    My understanding is, when we create tablespace with automatic storage, system itself takes care of resizing the containers. This means that autoresizing has always set to be 'yes'. If set it to 'no' then how will it resize the containers though its automatic storage.

TEMPSPACE1 is a system temporary tablespace that is defined as a system managed tablespace (SMS) by default (unless you override it during datbase creation), which means that the container(s) is a path not a file, so it does not need to be increased. You just need to make sure that there is sufficient room on the drive where the path is located.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Provided Answers: 11
    automatic storage also implies, you don't have to specify the container paths
    db2 will allocate for each new ts containers on supplied auto storage
    and resize is for resizing if containers need to grow
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be