Intellectual property, who has the rights?

I am not too sure if I am in the right place but you guys seem smart enough to answer my question.

About a year ago I worked for a very large company that uses software on its product.

Whilst with the company I had an idea that could pretty much revolutionise the industry it is in.

I submitted the idea to the company and was told someone would get back to me.

I have just recieved a very lengthy and detailed document that describes how my invention works with there product, I no longer work with the company but am beng asked to sign over full rights to my invention to them.

I have just looked at my contract and of course it states that whilst working for the company all intellectual property that is developed by the employee becomes the property of the employer to be expoited as it wishes.

I have not signed yet and even though I am not super intelligent I thought I would run this past some people who are before I proceed.

Do I need a soliciter??

First of all, if you're serious about keeping the rights, then Yes, you do need a solicitor, because your former employer sure as hell has a couple of those.

Then, if your previous contract with them clearly says that all you do and create is automatically (!) their property, then there's nothing you can do, because you signed that.

However... They do ask you apparently to sign your rights over to them, which they wouldn't bother to do, if they knew they had the legal ownership already.

So, yea... give your previous contract and the letter you received to an intellectual property lawyer, but since they have asked you to give them the rights, I think you have a good chance at staying in charge of your invention.

P.S... Just out of curiosity, what's your invention do?
    "My brain is just no good at being a relational Database - my relations suck real bad!"

If your employment contract with them clearly says that all you do is automatically employer's property, you have slim chances but it worth trying.