Smile Unanswered: Federated Queries?

Hi Folks,

I am running LUW 9.1 on Linux. I create 2 databases under the same instance: DB1 contains table T1 and DB2 contains table T2. If I want to run a query from DB2 to join T1 and T2 do I have to create a wrapper, nickname, and a server?

The examples are readily apparent when connect to z/OS but not clear between LUW databases. Am I complicating things?

Appreciate your help.

Yes you need the federated components you mentioned. The databases also have to be enabled for federation. There is a PDF manual that is dedicated to Federation.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Thats correct. Federation is the way to achive the same. Another way for the same, in case you want the remote table to be physically present on your target is the enable DB2 Replication.

Jayanta Datta
    DB2 UDB DBA
    IBM India, Global Delivery
    New Delhi

Don't mix up the term "database". It means completely different things in DB2 z/OS and DB2 LUW. On z/OS, a database is pretty much only a qualifier for tablespace names (plus authorization). From a data-perspective, a database on DB2 LUW is more comparable to a DB2 subsystem on z/OS. A database on z/OS should probably be modeled as "schema" in DB2 LUW.
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development