Unanswered: Using FileFind in Access03

Forgive me; I'm worse than a n00b; I'm a rank amateur. Actually, I'm a legal secretary who, every five years or so, gets frustrated with bloated, over-priced, off-the-shelf "solutions", so wades into making my own database with Access to do what I -- and the lawyers I work for -- need it to do.

This time the problem is managing e-discovery: tens of thousands of pages of document images in .tif and .pdf formats. The essential bit of information I need is how to use the advanced FileFind ("property tests") function. I haven't even gotten far enough to offer you a bit of code that isn't working!

I've googled and searched, and found examples of code using the FileFind -- but no example of a form which actually uses it, if you know what I mean; I don't know where or what to plug the code into.

I've already generated a table of hyperlinks of the document names. Now what I need is the basis for two types of forms, which will do a text search of the files (all have had OCR run on them), then either show the results on the form (for the lawyers to be able to view the documents -- I think I've figured out how to do the viewing part), and another form for the support staff to be able to do data-entry to the table entries which match those file names. By using text patterns we should be able to identify types of documents (i.e., emails all have "To:", "From:", "Subject:" -- the form would enable the support staff to mark all the files, with one entry, as "emails").

But I can't build the rest of the forms until I can actually do the text search.

Ideally, the form would allow the searchee to browse for the specific folders, and whether or not to include subfolders, to include in the search. The discovery is on the server as \client a\discovery\, which each party's document production in it's own sub-folder. Sometimes we'd want to search across all the discovery, sometimes just a specific party's production.

Can someone please give me a shove in the right direction?

Much appreciated -- Frankenoid

mmmm - not sure where your prob is.
    but here is a simple file-getter:
    Code:
    private sub getFiles(strPath as string, strMask as string, ynSubFolders as boolean)
        dim i as integer
        with application.filesearch
            .newsearch
            .lookin = strPath
            .searchsubfolders = ynSubFolders
            .filename = strMask         'use normal DOS wildcards convention
            if .execute() > 0 then
                msgbox .foundfiles.count & " file(s)", vbinformation, "found"
                for i = 1 to .foundfiles.count
                    'in real life, do something more useful
                    'than just dumping the names to debug
                    debug.print .foundfiles(i)
                next i
            else
                msgbox "zero files found!", vbexclamation, "not found"
            endif
        end with
    end sub
    be aware that there are rumours of conflicts between some versions of Windows indexing services (i don't use) and .filesearch - verify before deploy!

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

oh - and i found this as well with a couple of other ideas.

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

To put it more simply

I guess... I want to be able to use something like that kinda nifty "file search" form which, when one is in Word, one accesses from the open file dialog box and clicking on the "Tools" drop down list.

Apparently there is no way to open that particular Office form within Access.

I've gone poking in the bowels of the reference library and found references to the "msoconditions", and various "property tests" which correspond to the options on the "file search" form. I guess if I really want it, I have to build it from scratch, which is something beyond my abilities at this point, although likely something I'll scratch at (it's a puzzle, and solving such puzzles is like a mosquito bite on my psyche) over the next several weeks -- as well as hoping someone more knowledgeable than I can point me in an easier direction.

If you're willing to pay a fairly small amount of cash for it, there's a great replacement for Application.FileSearch on Office File Search. It doesn't support every single property that the old one did, but it certainly supports quite a few of them.

Chris