Unanswered: Using Dbase3 with Vista

This is my first attempt as a new member, so bear with me.

How do I use print Dbase3 programmes using Windows Vista?
    Have set the default printer to spool printing on LPT1 but it still does not seem to work

Help Please

Iain Rennie

Well......

It seems some of the older model printers will print fine from windows vista for dos apps, all of my clipper programs (100's of them for my clients) print fine to my hp deskjet 932c. BUT they do not work with my new epson.

SO unless you have an older printer you can hook up, you can't print directly.

NOW here's how I got around this issue for some of my clients. In most of my programs the're a large number of reports. So I wrote a report manager into the program. Basically my reports go to a file, lets say they want a general ledger rpt, my report program would print to gl001.txt, the next report will be gl002.txt and so on. Then the user uses word, ultraedit or any editor to open the document and print.

In the second generation of printers (I forgot what printer it was) I could "copy gl001.txt > lpt1" and that would work, but not always. So I find that creating a text file then opening it with an editor then printing works best.

Maybe someone has got a new printer driver that can bypass the windows print engine. Hope this helped.

Pappy

Many thanks Pappy. Yes the printer is the obstacle, but can see that by creating text files in Dbase3 these can be imported into an Excel Template. Have had an initial foray and this seems a definite option, more work, but better than re programming in Access!

See your are in South Carolina, would make you a cup of coffee whenever you visit Hampshire UK!!

Many thanks

Iain Rennie

check out this.....

can you still "mode" the printer port ? ie mode com1 := lpt1 or vice versa ?