Unanswered: Vendors Remote Access to Sql

Hi guys just a question, have you ever had a vendor dial into your server and create a database in SQL server for thier application, of course they had limited access and they could see no data cause its locked down. But I was curious as to how you handled that??

I'll usually ask them for the DDL to create the db(s) and objects, and do it myself and a create an application ID(s) for their application.

So you ask them for the DATA Definition Language and you create the database for them?? Hmm IT is saying the application will be housed on a different server. Apparently their going to make it a server for the app only I guess
    Last edited by desireemm; 01-28-09 at 13:03.

Provided Answers: 11
    I agree with PMASchmed. I NEVER allow a vendor to access any machine without supervision. If they can not be bothered using the SQLS erver tools to generate a script of all the tables, or hand over the scripts they intend on using themselves, then i can not be bothered to support their cruddy application. I would consider this to be a very bad sign and/or an indication of the (lack of) quality of their application.

Provided Answers: 54
    I would NEVER support a database that was created that way, nor would I support the machine on which it had been created on any basis other than "time and materials". At least in my experience, these are unqualified disasters without any redeeming value.

I once had to set up a machine for external access (the whole machine) for a vendor. I created a "one machine DMZ" for it, so that they could literally access nothing at all but that one machine. I gave them access to that DMZ, and let them have at it. We became the vendors single largest ongoing support expense because they had to support the disaster that they created instead of being able to foist the support problems onto my client.

Just in case you didn't pick up on it, I'd approach this with extreme skepticism.

-PatP

We are not going to do it, so thats a load off my shoulders. Thanks guys