Need assistance with hotel management database

Hi all,
    I've been asked to create a database and software for a hotel management system as my school project. I'm using MS Access for ease of use and such, but I don't have a clear idea as to what tables to make for it. My teacher has proven to be fairly inconclusive regarding this matter, and so I came here I don't need a complete guide, but rather, just a start-up idea as to what tables to create; after that, I'm confident I can create relationships, forms etc easily.

Thanks in advance,
    Schumi456

ok so what do you think are the key entities
    what information do you think you will have to store
    what information do you think you will have to associate or correlate

the you need tothink what element of a hotel reservation system you want

perhaps it may help you to start of by thinking what process you think go on in a hotel

ferinstace how deos soemone make a booking
    how does th ehotel know what accomodationit has
    how deos it know what rates to apply
    how does a receptionist know what discounts are allowable.

what does the hotel need to know form a customer to make a reservation

if all else fails have you done a search of t'net for skeleton db's that meet your requirement.

However I would make one observation if its publicly available then someone else could use the same model and/or the lecturer may recognise the model. so you need to do your work for yourself. if the truth be told you need to do that anyway to get value from the exercise
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by Schumi456
    My teacher has proven to be fairly inconclusive regarding this matter
    there is a frigging epidemic of this sort of thing lately, and frankly, i just don't buy it
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Teachers tend to be a lot more helpful when you've not left it to the last minute
    George
    Home | Blog

Actually, I'm ahead of my colleagues in this one. Some of them are still doing system analysis while I'm on design Anyway, my country's kinda corrupt sadly, the teacher is doing his very best to irritate the students into giving him money so that he can make this project for us. But I'm not quite willing to do that....yet

Quote Originally Posted by Schumi456
    Actually, I'm ahead of my colleagues in this one. Some of them are still doing system analysis while I'm on design Anyway, my country's kinda corrupt sadly, the teacher is doing his very best to irritate the students into giving him money so that he can make this project for us. But I'm not quite willing to do that....yet
    so if the others are stuck on system analysis and you are pressing on with design, what does the result of your Systems Analysis suggest you should have or you should deliver?
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by healdem
    so if the others are stuck on system analysis and you are pressing on with design, what does the result of your Systems Analysis suggest you should have or you should deliver?
    Analysis was pretty bummed up too sadly (I did manage to coax my teacher did into giving me the so-called "guide" for that one though). I made 36 pages of, what seems to be, absolute non-sense oO It just feels as though I'm repeating everything over and over again

Anyway...in the past few days, I have made some progress (or at least I think). These are the tables I've made so far:

GuestInformation
    Transactions
    RoomInformation
    MenuCard
    MasterDining
    DetailDining

Yeah I know, I'm in deep trouble here! I'll upload my 'analysis' if any of you want to see it
    Last edited by Schumi456; 02-01-09 at 05:18.

Uploading it would be a good idea from a learning standpoint, but think carefully about that... The denizens of DBForums offer good analysis and advice, but we also tend to call a spade a spade. You could get your feelings hurt.

-PatP