Thread: Where !=

Unanswered: Where !=

Hi, I am having trouble trying to figure out how to make this query work, I'm sure by looking at it, you'll be able to see what I'm trying to accomplish...
    Code:
    PROCEDURE dbo.GetAvailableCertificationsByEmployeeID
    	(
    	@EmployeeID int
    	)
    AS
    	SET NOCOUNT ON;

DECLARE @CertificationID int

SELECT @CertificationID = CertificationID FROM EmployeeCertifications WHERE EmployeeID = @EmployeeID ;

SELECT CertificationName FROM Certifications WHERE CertificationID != @CertificationID;

Code:
    SELECT CertificationName 
    FROM Certifications 
    WHERE NOT EXISTS    (SELECT NULL
                FROM    FROM EmployeeCertifications 
                WHERE     EmployeeID = @EmployeeID
                    AND EmployeeCertifications.CertificationID = Certifications.CertificationID)
    Love the proc name - I like big, long, totally unambiguous names like that. Better a few extra key strokes than wonder "WTF does that proc actually do?"
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Provided Answers: 11
    Well, not really. but then, am assuming that a person can have several certifications (MSCE, Oracle Expert, Cisco, A+, etc.). Your procedure will query the EmployeeCertifications table, and store the last result returned (which can be different from run to run, depending on various conditions) in a variable. Then you go to the Certifications table, and get a list of CertificationNames that do not equal the single one you plucked at random from the EmployeeCertifications table. Was that the requirement?

Reads the proc name! Read the proc name!
    A proc that needs no introduction. He barely even needed to say "Hi".
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump
    Love the proc name - I like big, long, totally unambiguous names like that. Better a few extra key strokes than wonder "WTF does that proc actually do?"
    Thank you, I like to use very descriptive proc names and variables and such, that way I don't have to wonder "What the hell was this for?" later if I come back to it...

And thank you very much, the query worked like a charm...
    Last edited by WebWired; 01-28-09 at 12:31.

Quote Originally Posted by MCrowley
    Well, not really. but then, am assuming that a person can have several certifications (MSCE, Oracle Expert, Cisco, A+, etc.). Your procedure will query the EmployeeCertifications table, and store the last result returned (which can be different from run to run, depending on various conditions) in a variable. Then you go to the Certifications table, and get a list of CertificationNames that do not equal the single one you plucked at random from the EmployeeCertifications table. Was that the requirement?
    No, the goal is to populate a ListBox with ALL the Certifications that the Employee DOES NOT possess...

Provided Answers: 11
    Code:
    SELECT CertificationName 
    FROM Certifications 
    WHERE CertificationID not in (SELECT CertificationID 
    		FROM EmployeeCertifications 
    		WHERE EmployeeID = @EmployeeID)