Unanswered: IBMDB 2 Performance related issue.

Hi All,

I have created some tests for testing my application using IBM DB2(8.3) Database. As part of tests, I have to populate some information in the database. To populate the information, I have created the queries in a file and running the queries one by one. But I observed that DB2 is very slow and taking a lot of time to run all the queries. Is there any way to increase the perfomance from database side?

Below is the way I use to run the tests.

There will be a Java Program which reads sql files. These sql files consists of ddl and dml statements. The ddl statements consists of create and drop tables and dml consists of insert statements. These ddl and dml statements will be running using jdbc drivers. But it is taking lot of time to execute the ddl commands. Below are the statistics I captured from my test.

| 03:23:40 | Running the Queries from D:\sql\db2\db2.ddl.sql
    | 03:44:41 | Completed running the Queries.

When I ran the same quiries on a Oracle/SQL Server database, I see it is taking very less time to execute. So I thought it is problem with the Database i.e. IBM-DB2.

Kindly let me know if there is any way to increase the performance of database?

Thanks,
    Sailaja.

There are a lot of configuration changes that should be made to DB2 other than the default settings, especially with V8. You should find a real DBA to make the changes and tune the system for you. The changes are dependent on the nature of the database and the size of your machine (memory and processors).

BTW, there is no such release as 8.3, so you want to try issuing the db2level command on the database server (not your client machine) to find out what you have.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Since you are on Windows, I will give you one thing to try, but this is still not everything that should be done for an optimum system:

This assumes your database name is "sample"

db2 connect to sample
    db2 alter bufferpool IBMDEFAULTBP size 50000
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390