DIVA - Database Immersive Visual Analysis

Greetings to all DBForums community!
    I want to introduce you project called DIVA.

It's a tool with 3D User Interface, focused on open-minded database developers that are willing to improve their work with databases.

With this software we trying to achieve usable 3D interface for viewing database logical structures. New visualization of foreign-key dependencies allowed us to create a tool that show large-scale databases in compact & interactive 3D form, and allow to view and analyze every dependency step by step.

To create interactive 3D model of database - DIVA reads database's export script (DDL / SQL). Current release of DIVA v.0.17 works great with Oracle and MsSQL DBMS, MySQL is also supported, but still can be buggy.

There was also research in implementing Virtual-Reality manipulation techniques (with low-cost VR devices) in this immersive environment. You can see more details in one of our videos "Tutorial 3 - Virtual Reality".

Warning! All innovations can be hard to understand, so please watch our videos before you try application itself, to get clear view of what's going on

Videos, screenshots, and free-version of DIVA, available on our website, hope you will like it.
    http://diva.3dvrm.com/

You know... I think this is amazing!
    Specifically the virtual reality interface seems very movie like.
    I believe you're on the right track with this, but it does need a lot of development still. For example I am not sure if the circular design really is that scalable or intuitive for that matter. But it should be possible to develop new visualization models, maybe even customizable formats etc...

Your main selling point is the graphical wow-effect and together with the virtual reality interface (the more enhanced the better, eye-movement tracking?)
    this has real potential. But you really need to offer more than one visualization.

I will actually try it out and see how it feels.
    I'll post back with my thoughts.
    "My brain is just no good at being a relational Database - my relations suck real bad!"

Ok, I just tried it on the classic Oracle example schema HR.
    So nothing out of the ordinary. Just exported the Table DDL into a simple text file and then loaded that into DIVA.

Unfortunately DIVA did not recognize any of the foreign/primary keys.
    All tables were loaded, but only as simple reference tables, without content.

I assume it did not recognize the column definitions? I exported them from my Oracle 10g Express database, with the convenient "Export to DDL" command.

I'm afraid DIVA failed me.

Also, I really hope, you guys will implement a direct ODBC / JDBC connection, so you don't have to export any DDL... Online representation!

But yea, keep it up. And post back when milestones are reached. I'd be happy to do some extensive beta testing when it is more matured.
    "My brain is just no good at being a relational Database - my relations suck real bad!"

Hello freeBatjko!
    Thanks for kind words

New features are on the road, if you'll have special ideas you can send me email, or post on forum. As you can see version is early, and more are coming.

About parser problems - it still happens, but our basic examples that going with DIVA 0.17 distributive - are actually Oracle example scripts (HR schema). Try to re-save your script by copying it into notepad, and save it to text in non-unicode format. DIVA's DDL parser don't understand unicode script's properly.

If it still will not recognize foreign-keys, please could you send me this script on e-mail so we could investigate this case precisely.

You can write me to: maxim.lysak@3dvrm.com
    Thanks for support, I will keep you in touch!
    Last edited by VRM; 01-30-09 at 18:25.

Hello to all, I have some news about our project.
    Today we opened our e-shop. So, if you want to get full-feature version without limitation for tables, or just want to support our further research, please visit our website
    http://diva.3dvrm.com/

Personal license for one key cost 24.99 USD
    Also, all customers that get license before 1.04.2009, will receive exclusive tech-support.

Thanks for your support, VRM team.

In near future we plan to publish new version of DIVA 1.0a, which will include a lot of new features.
    List of planned features:

1. White color skin.
    You can select black or white color scheme.

2. Alternative 3D model of column - square arrangement.
    For small databases it can be usable to minimize time on DB overview.

3. Relational Analyzer (RA).
    Completely new mode, which will augment 3D model of DIVA with automatically-build 2D schemes, which clearly demonstrates all (incoming / outgoing) relations of selected table.
    RA working in two modes: 2.5D - where RA data augment on 3D model of DB, and full 2D mode. You can still browse among tables in 2D mode.

4. You can easily switch between 3D / 2.5D / 2D modes, each transition is accomplished by smooth movement of interface elements. This is helpfull for orientation inside complex structure.

5. Bookmarks.
    Now you can remember up to 9 positions and viewpoints in DIVA environment and quickly switch between them using bookmarks. This works for Relational Analyzer as well.

6. Table list.
    1D mode, which show list of all loaded tables, sorted by number of foreign-key dependencies.

And other features.

Some screenshots from new version:

Big screenshots can be viewed in our gallery:
    Flickr: VRM team's Photostream

This announcement available here:
    DIVA forum :: View topic - Announcement of new DIVA version.

New version of DIVA will be available on our website in a few weeks.
    DIVA - step inside your data

Hi

Everything looks gorgeous, in a kind of Vista sort of way. Which kind of leads on to my question:
    Quote Originally Posted by VRM
    It's a tool with 3D User Interface, focused on open-minded database developers that are willing to improve their work with databases.
    what novel functionality does this bring? How would my work with databases improve? I can imagine it will make presentations to non-db people a bit more pazzazzy but can't see anything of substance in what you have presented so far.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump
    Hi

Everything looks gorgeous, in a kind of Vista sort of way. Which kind of leads on to my question:what novel functionality does this bring? How would my work with databases improve? I can imagine it will make presentations to non-db people a bit more pazzazzy but can't see anything of substance in what you have presented so far.
    Hello, sorry for late answer, we were very busy with this release.

Novelty of DIVA is simple:
    You can waste many days in order to understand relations even in relatively small DB using available tools & classic methods (in most cases printed 2d diagrams). Or you can browse your DB in DIVA for a few hours and know every single dependency, and you can always easily refer to them again and again. Improve your performance and spend time on other things.
    There is full DIVA FAQ available here:
    DIVA - FAQ

So, there is new version 1.0a is available in free and commercial versions from our website!

Here is a new video-tutorial that explains a lot of new features:
    DIVA Tutorial 4 on Vimeo

Welcome to our website: DIVA - step inside your data