Unanswered: How can I make the design view locked?

Hey guys,

I want to put a database on a shared drive, however i dont want the users to have access to the background tables, designs, etc, how can i make this happen?

Regards
    ~Aboo

Check out microsoft's help on startup options.
    Me.Geek = True

Provided Answers: 19
    Converting your file from MDB to MDE locks down design changes so the end user cannot change them.

If by putting "a database on a shared drive" you mean placing one copy of a un-split database on a shared drive, to be used by multiple users, you're heading for trouble. This is a common cause for corruption.

Multiple-user databases should consist of a split database, with

1. A copy of the front end, with all objects except tables, on each user's PC
    2. A back end, with all tables, placed on a shared drive.

Both the making of an MDE and splitting the database can be done by Access via Tools - Database Utilities.

Before making the MDE it's a good idea to first complie your code. When you do this Access will point out any problems you might encounter so you can fix them.

Always remember to keep a copy of the MDB in a safe place. The MDE file cannot be modified, by you or by anyone else. Modifications have to be done on the original MDB file, then converted to an MDE file again.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Provided Answers: 59
    +1 Missingling
    Deploy the app as an MDE, BUT, and important BUT make sure you keep your MDB, as if you get rid of the MDB, or loose it or whatever you wil lsruggle to make changes in future... it is possible to go fromMDE to MDB but the time, cost results make it unworthwhile.

+1 on the reccomendation to split the app and data

whilst you are at it read the microsoft Access security FAQ, and take copious backup before, during and after making changes. Be prepared to reinstall your backups if you screw somethign up, so make sure your backups are usefull and can be restored. There is no point in relying on a system backup unless someone, preferably your, has proved the system backup has archived your data and you can retrieve it as and when you need to. Ive seen a few too many 'we bakup to tape drives regularly', and then later 'sorry we didn't back up your data'
    or 'its got mangled'
    or 'we don't know how to/can't retrieve a specific file so we cannot recover your data'

remember it your app, its your neck on the line. However once the app has passed into production then it becomes the network trolls issue.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Guys thanks for your help.

Provided Answers: 19
    Glad we could help! And Healdem's point about backing up your MDBs can't be emphasized too much! Do not depend on someone else to do this! And if you backup to removal media, it's probably a good idea not to use a thumbdrive/flashdrive. I don't know why, but I see an awful lot of threads around on people who have done this and ended up with data corruption.

Good luck!

Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007