Unanswered: 3 forms corrupted and counting - need help!

I've been developing a MS Access 2003 DB over the past few months. In the past week, three of my forms have died after I edited them. I can't open the forms in any mode, including design, so I have had to recreate them. I'm nervous this will continue to happen. When I double click on the form's icon absolutely nothing happens! I can't export them either.

I've searched this forum and others - a few other people have complained of a similar issue but none of the suggestions offered have worked. I've compacted and repaired the db to no avail. I've tried opening these forms in other versions of Access but no luck. I upgraded from Office SP2 to SP3 and applied the Access 2003 post-SP3 hotfix but nothing.

My only thought is that my DB is too large! The DB is for a university research study - It consists of about 30 forms - each one is a different psychological questionnaire containing anywhere from 25 - 75 questions. Overall there are about 1500 variables that capture all the responses. Many of the questions contain option groups so there are A LOT of controls! Could this be contributing to the problem? Other thoughts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

As for recovering your forms, Allen Browne's website has a good method for recovering them that usually is what I have to resort to, and works great.

As for what's causing the corruption, if it is indeed that the db is to large, have you thought about splitting into a FE/BE model?
    Me.Geek = True

Provided Answers: 19
    There are some things that are apt to lead to corruption. I think Allen Browne touches on most of them in these papers:

Microsoft Access tips: Preventing corruption

Microsoft Access tips: Recovering from corruption
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

hehe, just beat ya to it Missinglinq
    Me.Geek = True

Provided Answers: 19
    Yeah, but you only gave the link for recovering from corruption, not for preventing corruption!

I think Allen's prevention paper covers most of them, but things like not having a split db for multiple users, especially having multiple users sharing one db on a shared drive are high on the list of things that can cause repeated corruption. Having "Name AutoCorrect" checked is a another one, as is "Compact On Closing." Compacting should never be done without first making a backup copy of the database, as this operation itself can cause corruption! This is possibly one of the dumbest thing Billy Bob Gate's boys have ever thought up! Especially as having it selected is the Default! It sits right up there with having the form's Cycle Property defaulting to All Records, making neophytes everywhere wonder why "all my fields went blank when I hit Enter after filling in my last field!"
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007