Unanswered: Performance/Benchmark application other than Perfmon?

I am wondering if you guys come across any benchmarking tool or performance tuning tool that is able to suggest some recommended configurations like numbers of additional spindles/raid level, CPU cores and memory required based on any existing SQL Server 2005/2008?

I got the following results from Perfmon but it's quite tough to get a "recommended" set up to counter the performance issue.....

huge maximum page per second.....
    http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/7...rsecondun5.png

high maximum Queue length.....
    http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/7...elengthjb8.png

any suggestion?

Try using this:
    SQL Server Forums - Waiting Patiently

Remember that a poor counter in, for example, IO doesn't necessarily mean an IO bottleneck.

You can try SQLIOSIM to look at your IO.

I assume you have a performance problem that you are trying to diagnose, and have rulled out poor code, database physical & logical schema etc?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

it's a black box to us.....we bought it off the shelf and the vendor is damn poor in designing stuff.......without proper documentations passed to us, we can't do much on the source code or schema.....even if there is, they shall pay me to optimize all these for them! What's worse? they are so closed up that they wish to solve it themselves and refuse to pass us any source code......sigh....

That's why we are looking for temporary solution to make the performance acceptable by the user at this moment, before we can replace it with something else.....

There is some grid solution where we can pay by usage, so getting more complete information on the performance will help us in engaging the right usage (CPU, Ram etc) to resolve this performance issue temporary.....
    Last edited by tingshen; 02-03-09 at 04:44.

Have you heard of Profiler? You can use that to examine the code executed on the server, and the execution plans for these. If you have a database on SQL Server and a few tools then there is no such thing as a black box. I assume all code is generated and executed from the front end? No views, stored procedures, functions etc?

In any event, I wouldn't touch the source code or schema. That usually invalidates any support without explicit permission.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

thanks pootle flump!

May I know is there a product for such "Profiler" on SQL Server and IIS? I wouldn't want to touch the source code (which is not available to me too) too, but I started feeling weird as I seems to be analyzing my vendors' executables for free?!

There is an application (I supposed it's a ASP .net portal) that trigger some SQL queries to generate the report. From our analysis with TMS (that sells RAMSan), it appears to be a single threaded thingy.

The server has quad core. So single submission of report is taking up 25% of the CPU time, and 4 submissions will make the server jumping at 100% CPU time, whereas page file, queue length etc are almost 0%......

Profiler is installed with SQL Server. it is purely for SQL Server. Run it on another PC, pointed at the server. Alternatively look at SQL Server side tracing. You'll need to google these for instructions. Essentially, they are methods of seeing details about SQL Server events (connections, code exectuion, sproc execution etc).
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump