Thread: bcp

Unanswered: bcp

Can anyone see the problem with this syntax? Also, the original server name was like -S"DEV_UVTS"...how is that name set up?

C:\Sybase\OCS-12_5\bin\bcp.exe "MMRS_INST.dbo.cloned_with" out "C:\MMRS\dev_mmrs_inst\dbo.cloned_with.DAT" -e"C:\MMRS\dev_mmrs_inst\dbo.cloned_with.ERR" -S"DEV_UVTS" -U"X002548" -P"xxx" -f"C:\MMRS\dev_mmrs_inst\dbo.cloned_with.FMT" -b1000 -c -t|
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Provided Answers: 11
    Sybase Server names are set up in a configuration file somewhere in the client folders. On Windows, you need to look for an INI file. It has been a while, but I think it is sql.ini. There is also a utility to modify the INI file for you. I think it was called DSEdit.exe. This is based on knowledge of a Sybase 12.0 that we retired a couple years ago. Good luck.

Brett
    What's the error you're getting?
    Does the | symbol need to be escaped?

Yeah got the ini file...just wonder if it's in the correct path...left it where I found it

Yes, the pipe needs to be "escaped"...the double quotes around it work well

I have some contacts here....not very cooperative contacts...they are losing their sybase to sql migrations....but I have some contacts

They exclusively use dbartisan though, so they don't look under the hood....and I wonder what they really know....

In any case....a pipe delimiter didn't work either....they gave use data files...but we find pipe, tilda, and (their original unload) commas in the data...so rows fall out on bcp in...I want to go with a delimiter of "|~|"

I tested it on the sql side and works fine...now I just need to do it on the bcp out of sybase

btw...just to be clear...sybase bcp and sql sevrer bcp ARE different, are they not? I did load sybase "client tools" (or so I was told) but there is no interface is there? I just see config tools for the most part

Am I missing something

Thanks for all you help people
    Brett
    8-)

dbForums Member List

You still get isql with the Sybase tools. Unfortunately, you may have pathing problems with teh SQL Server isql, so run it from the bin directory under Sybase. You could get one of your contacts to send you a copy of his sql.ini file. Offer him a coffee for it, if you have to. for the good of the business ;-)

Perhaps it might help if you just give us the first few lines of the bcp file, the create table syntax and whatever error you're getting. Then we'd have enough info to give you a proper answer

EDIT: I hope you appreciate the speed of response this time

Quote Originally Posted by MCrowley
    You still get isql with the Sybase tools. Unfortunately, you may have pathing problems with teh SQL Server isql, so run it from the bin directory under Sybase. You could get one of your contacts to send you a copy of his sql.ini file. Offer him a coffee for it, if you have to. for the good of the business ;-)

her...offer her coffee...

Hell she already asked for wine....

Bee + Yacht
    Brett
    8-)

dbForums Member List

looking at the original command, you have -f and -c -t. If I remember, these are mutually exclusive. Not sure which one takes precedence, though.

(edit: Tried to post this three times, today, but vBulletin is having trouble getting out of bed.)

It's gotta be a generated statement out of artisan

on a conf call today she said she had no time to teach sybase....
    Brett
    8-)

dbForums Member List

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Kaiser
    Yeah got the ini file...just wonder if it's in the correct path...left it where I found it
    Use dsedit to edit the settings (using %SYBASE% as sybase home folder)
    In any case....a pipe delimiter didn't work either....they gave use data files...but we find pipe, tilda, and (their original unload) commas in the data...so rows fall out on bcp in...I want to go with a delimiter of "|~|"
    if you specify -f for a format file and the -c for character data
    the last one specified take precedence.
    I tested it on the sql side and works fine...now I just need to do it on the bcp out of sybase
    ?? just change bcp in to bcp out. What's your error?
    btw...just to be clear...sybase bcp and sql sevrer bcp ARE different, are they not?
    Yes the 2 bcp programs are different but the data file created with -c flag can be used by either one. i.e. you can use bcp to transfer data between MS SQL and ASE.
    I did load sybase "client tools" (or so I was told) but there is no interface is there? I just see config tools for the most part
    There should be a sql.ini file in the ini sub dir, use dsedit to add entries.