Want some option about OO DB

Hi, folks,
    OO DB is not very popular now. Is anybody having some experience with OO DB?
    Can somebody tell me what is the advantage of OO DB and what is the disadvantage of it?
    I wanna try to write a simple one with some friends and try to make it stronger later.
    Any options , suggestions are welcome.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Milo Luo; 02-07-09 at 11:46.

There is no common agreement about what an OO DBMS actually consists of. The object oriented tag has been used by software vendors at different times and for various products that don't seem to have much in common. So if you want an opinion on those it would be better to name the product you are interested in.

Or perhaps you mean you want to invent an OO DBMS of your own? In that case you can get no better start than to read:
    Amazon.com: Databases, Types and the Relational Model (3rd Edition): C. J. Date, Hugh Darwen: Books

Thank you,dportas.
    Is that mean there is not clear standard in OO DB?
    Is that any differences between OO DBMS and RDBMS in theory?
    Thanks

There are quite a lot of ideas and proposals, from the Object Management Group for example. There is nothing like a consensus or approved standard. Some of the proposals are discussed in the book I mentioned.

In theory there doesn't have to be any difference between OODBMS and RDBMS. An object class is a type. An RDBMS is an open-ended collection of types used as attribute types within relations. So there is no fundamental reason why "objects" shouldn't be supported in an RDBMS. That is the approach taken by the SQL DBMS vendors like Oracle and Microsoft. They have added their own support for complex object types in the DBMS.

It's a kind of inconvenient for me to buy that book in China.
    Thanks anyway,dportas.