Unanswered: Use db form as a transaction till?

Hi, I haven't done anything on databases in a few years, and even then it was only basic sql work, but I am hoping to be able to use a database to act as a programmable till so that I can view/graph/compare any specific data about transactions.

Before I start on this massive project I am here to ask if it is possible to achieve what I want using a form on Access 2003.

Ideally I would like
    1) Each row in the db would be 1 transaction.
    2) A layout of several buttons such as "cod", "chips", "cod & chips". If the "cod" button is pressed 2 times the "cod" value in the current customer should become 2.
    3) A "cancel transaction" button.
    4) A "Subtotal" button to display the due amount.
    5) A "Cash" button for finishing that customer, printing the receipt, and starting a new one (without deleting the total amount for the previous transaction).
    6) A function allowing for the user to select multiple cod in a few clicks, like 5x"cod".
    7) A change calculator function for those who can not do simple maths.
    8) Keyboard keys assigned to certain buttons like "cod" so mouse movement not needed.
    9) The time the transaction was completed.

In terms of the Databases I was thinking of one with the list of prices,
    and one for each transaction. This would contain the amount of each item the time of the transaction.

Thanks to anyone who can give me any help on whether any of these are possible, and hopefully a one liner mentioning what functions could be used would be great.

Thanks
    Last edited by steve2008; 02-12-09 at 18:26.

Hey Steve, welcome to the forums!

Quote Originally Posted by steve2008
    and hopefully a one liner mentioning what functions could be used would be great
    I can think of ways to do everything you're asking for, but not with one line, more like many an hour of work Could you possibly try reducing the scope of your question down to something a little more manageable for us? You might get more help that way.
    Me.Geek = True

Use an unbound form with the layout as required. When the user selects the CASH button, the details on the form are written to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by nckdryr
    Hey Steve, welcome to the forums!

I can think of ways to do everything you're asking for, but not with one line, more like many an hour of work Could you possibly try reducing the scope of your question down to something a little more manageable for us? You might get more help that way.

Thanks. That's the main question answered. As it is possible I can start building my knowledge and learning how to do several of them myself/reading other answers here.

I will be back to ask specific questions on any areas I get stuck in as and when they occur.

Thanks to both of you for your help.

Hi, I have been hard at it, and found ways to do most of what I asked here. (using just a couple of products as a test)

One very important thing I am not sure on is being able to list the receipt.

I have a big table for the transactions (one row per customer) with fields such as "Cod" and "chips"
    I can get a list showing the value of every item for the current customer easily enough (By using text boxes linked to the fields), but would like to skip out the ones of 0 quantity as it would look far too messy if the complete menu was listed.

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by steve2008
    I can get a list showing the value of every item for the current customer easily enough (By using text boxes linked to the fields), but would like to skip out the ones of 0 quantity as it would look far too messy if the complete menu was listed.
    How are you populating the list? (I assume you're referring to a listbox?) If it's simply a query, than just add a WHERE clause like
    Code:
    WHERE (tblTransactions.fldQty > 0)
    Last edited by nckdryr; 02-23-09 at 16:31.
    Me.Geek = True

I have buttons which run a macro to add quantities to a bound text box.

So If I click the cod button.
    txtcod becomes 1, and txtcod is bound to the field 'cod'.
    I don't think I can use a query as I only wish to display the information from one record, excluding the fields of 0 values.
    As for how I am populating the list of quantities, currently I am just displaying the txtcod ... boxes.

I have had a rethink today about this and I think it is best to have just 5 fields in the transactions table.

Transaction ID, Item number, (Dual primary key)
    Item ID (1:1 relation to price database)
    Item Quantity
    Total cost.

That way there would be no 0 quantity items listed.
    (I would need total cost as the price of items change from time to time so would not want this linked to the price table)

I think I can do everything I need to then.

Thanks for your help.