Unanswered: What are the steps for connecting jdbc with mysql?

I'M NOT ASKING ABOUT THE CODE. I just want to know what are and all the steps involved in the connection other than coding. I'm using j2sdk1.4.0, MySQL Server 4.1 and mysql-connector-java-3.0.17-ga. Am very new to this area.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Mani-Vee; 02-18-09 at 04:24.

Provided Answers: 59
    assuming that
    ...your MySQl installation is working
    ...you have created suitable userid & passwords
    ...you have GRANTed suitable access
    ...you have downloaded a suitable JAVA ODBS driver
    ,all of which chold have happened at installation

probably best to ask this in the java forum, as its not actually a mySQL question its more of a Java question
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Hello healdem,

Actually the problem is with the connection. I have committed some mistake in the connection. While trying to execute my java program it gives a NoClassFoundException: com.mysql.jdbc.Driver.

difficult to say without the code and installation details but basically Java cannot find mysql-connector-java-3.0.17-ga .

I have had some problems with this using Tomcat,
    the documentation says the file can be part of the application but i have noticed this is not always the case. In order to get things working i have had to copy the file into Tomcat's lib directory.

In short, the most likely problem is that mysql-connector-java-3.0.17-ga cannot be found.

Provided Answers: 59
    so the problem is with the ODBC connector, again thats not a MySQL (server problem). belatedly you are telling us what the error message is.. I'd agree with BettingSherlock.. it sounds like the ODBC driver is banjaxed. reinstall the driver or see if there is a more recent driver available from the MySQL site.

and, in my judegement, you are more likely to get an answer on the Java forum rather than the MySQL forum
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton