Unanswered: Export data to a File with .dat extension

Hi

I am new to Pervasive Database, I have a urgent requirement to extract data from Pervasive Database (This release includes version 7.0.400 of the MicroKernel,
    version 4.0.400 of the Scalable SQL engine, and version 2.53 of the
    ODBC driver) and export it to a file with ".dat extension" with "tab" as the delimiter. This should be an automated process.

Can you please suggest a suitable solution for the above requirement

Thanks,

Ajit

Provided Answers: 4
    I'm not aware of any specific tools that will export to tab delimited data that can be automated.

If you have DDFs, you can create an ODBC DSN pointing to your data and then export it to CSV using my DataXtraction product or any number of other ODBC compliant tools.

If you don't have DDFs, then you'll need to know the exact record structure. Once you know the record structure, you can either use the Btrieve API or create DDFs and use ODBC to read the data and then write the data in whatever format you need.
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.

Hi Mirtheil,

Where can I get Pervasive v7 client software(PSQL Client)? Can I install Pervasive v10 Client , which is provided by Pervasive site to access Pervasive v7
    Last edited by ajit2009; 02-19-09 at 06:04.

It was included with the PSQL Server install. It is on the CD as well as in the Clients directory of the server install directory (c:\pvsw by default)
    Mirtheil Software

Hi Mirtheil,

I did check with my Client and he searched the Client folder under C:\pvsw folder but not found any .exe file. "pvsw" folder has DOS, ODBC, WIN16, WIN32 folders. Which folder has the Client Installer file? I checked the ODBC folder it doesnt have any exe to install

Thanks,
    Ajit

Hi Mirtheil,

Can u plz answer to my above query...

thx
    Ajit

On the PSQL v7 CD, there is a directory called "Clients". In it, is a directory called "Win32". That is where the install program for the PSQL client is located.
    If you don't have it, I'm not sure where you'll be able to get it. PSQL 7 has been unsupported / unavailable since January 2002.
    Mirtheil Software

Hi mirtheil,

Can i use PSQL v10 client software to access PSQL v7, does PSQL has backward compatibility?

thx,
    Ajit

No, you cannot use the v10 client to a v7 engine. THe SQL engine changed completely between v7 and PSQL 2000. In addition, the v10 client can only connect to a v10 engine because of changes in the engine.
    If you install v10 on the server and client, most Btrieve applications will still work. If you have an SQL app using the v7 SQL engine, it won't work at all.
    Mirtheil Software

Hi Mirtheil,

thanks for the above info,can u plz suggest me some way to proceed further..

thx,
    Ajit

I'm not sure what else I can offer. To access PSQL data, you have two options: Btrieve or Relational. If you use Btrieve, you need to know the exact record structure down to the byte and parse the record in your application. If you use the Relational interface (ODBC, OLEDB, etc), you need DDF files.
    In both cases, you need a PSQL engine and possibly a PSQL client. The client is needed when accessing remote data using a server engine.

Once you choose your method, I might be able to offer better suggestions.
    Mirtheil Software

Hi Mirtheil,

I would go for Relational, bcoz we got the DDF's, As i have said earlier I need to run a job to extract the data daily, weekly, monthly, so what could be the best possible solution

thx,
    Ajit

As stated in my first post:
    If you have DDFs, you can create an ODBC DSN pointing to your data and then export it to CSV using my DataXtraction product or any number of other ODBC compliant tools.
    If you specifically need Tab delimited, then you can write your own tool to read and write the data. I do not know of any tools that can generate Tab delimited files.

Scheduling a tool to run is best handled by the Operating System's task scheduler.
    Mirtheil Software