Unanswered: how is this done

i am creating a small stock control sytem, how ever the system includes data entry at the tills.

As my system is on access my idea is that i have a form were data is entered to a table that is automatically made daily.

I would then have a cross tab query can be run so that it sorts and summarises the data and then an update query can be run so that it updates the over all product inventory. This will means i could carry out many transactions a day without the main product inventory having to be constantly updated.

However my problem is that i do not now how to get access to make a new table daily (with the days date as the table name)

i would appreciate any help or better solutions to my problem chrs

Quote Originally Posted by steveJa
    i would appreciate any help or better solutions to my problem chrs
    There is almost never a good reason for generating tables on the fly with dates in the name. Just imagine the exact same structure, but instead of a date in the name have a column for the date of creation. That way you have a single table and just include the date in your where clause when you want to see a specific day's data. Simpler in every way.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Provided Answers: 59
    for stock control I tend to run a product table, a transaction type table and a transactions table.
    periodically would run a stock count which resets the transactions (not that data is cleared out, but effectively tells the query that you run form an known stock position and add/subtract stock movemements as required.
    if you are concerned about volumes of data you could archive off histroic data into another table
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

much appreciated! i was thinking about using the transaction table with the archive method but i was looking to try somthing different but it never worked. thanks