Unanswered: Has any one got an explanation

i have created an update query yet when i run it i get the error message "Operation must use an udateable query". i have searched for a while for a solution yet most are for permissions when using a data base over a server, however i am not and have no clue what to do.

i have a crosstab query that has summarised data from a transaction table and i am using the crosstab query for my update query yet when i run it, it gives me the error message.

Provided Answers: 59
    for a query to be "updateable" each and every row to be updated must be uniquely identifiable. so if you are using an aggregation query as your source that won't work if the primary key(s) cannot be indentified for each row in each table that will cause problems.

Its ages since I used crosstab queries in Access but I wouldnt' be at all surprised of you coulnd't use crosstab queries as a source for an update. IIRC they are more about data analysis than data editing
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by healdem
    I wouldnt' be at all surprised of you coulnd't use crosstab queries as a source for an update.
    I just looked this up and you cannot use a cross tab query as a source for an update query because cross tab queries are stored in tempary memory and not permantly, what would be the best way to summarise data in a table so that i may then use an update query to update my overall product table?

Provided Answers: 59
    so you need to find a way of storing the the product ID.

perhaps if you try to explai what it is you want to do
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

sorry.I am creating a small stock control system. I have multiple data entries during a day so i am going to have a "holding" table (table of transactions) for the data. So at the end of the day i will have to summarise the data so that the data is sorted by product ID with all the quantity sold for that product. For example instead of having

003 - 2,
    003 - 3

i would summarise this to 003-5 and from the summary i want to run an update query to update the stock levels in my overall product inventory.

sorry about the explanation