Thread: Web Interface

Unanswered: Web Interface

HI all I was wondering if anyone can reccommend a Step By Step guide on how to Create a Web interface Front end for a database???

Provided Answers: 10
    W3Schools Online Web Tutorials

Come on desireemm, you should know by now that the more information you provide, the more useful the answers can be
    George
    Home | Blog

your right Georgv I am being lazy plus I have so some big projects coming so in between the current project I am doing I'm trying to get some research done. And I know I have asked this question before but my situation has changed allot (Thank God) and I'm just trying to gather information in between breaks. Sorry about that.

We are looking into getting Visual studio or should I get something else for making a webface interface for our databases? We are currently on SQL SERver 2005 Enterprise and would like to get rid of the Access 2003 interface little by little.

The real shame is that Access 2007 is much more web like than I have seen before, however there is nothing to get from Access to Asp.Net - bother. I don't really think it really matters to users what is behind the scenes sofar as databases are concerned but they are more concerned with the interface.

There is a product access2aspFree that might be worth looking at alternatively you could use Visual Web Developer 2008 Express (free).

There are rumour that MS is going to completely change web design but I'm not sure what this entails.

Don't use Sharepoint

Use asp.Net rather than Asp Classic

Strict document types are better than transition as there are a number of deprecated tags that may not be supported in the future.

Session Variables are very handy along with Request.Querystrings, the later a way of qualifying the data and can be used in the SQL Where statement.

Use stylesheets ccs files always

It is better to use divs in pages rather than Tables even though Outlook 2007 couldn't format these type of web pages. Outlook 2003 is better because it uses IE rendering engine. Just a bone I have with Outlook 2007.

Put a version of your data into inetpub/wwwroot/whatever and configure IIS and Visual Web Developer and have a play.

There is a lot more to web design these are just some of the basics, it bloody frustrating to begin with but depending on your scale of your database, it will keep you busy.

Simon