Unanswered: Creating a database of audio files

Hello Everybody!

I am an electrical engineering student - senior and I am doing my senior design this semester in which I am required to design a database of sounds which I need to interface with MATLAB.

I have taken a basic class in database design, but I am not sure how should I go about designing a database which would have a huge number of wav or audio files.

If anybody could give me a tip regarding how to get started with this , it will be extremely helpful.

Looking forward to your help!

Thanks
    Piyush

Sure, store the wav files on a file server and store the file name and path in the database

Anything else?
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Provided Answers: 6
    What data do you need to persist? what are the nouns? those might be your tables. what attributes do they have? those might be the columns. stick with 3rd normal form. establish primary keys and put as many of your rules in constraints. as possible
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Here's something to get you started:
    http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/64525/tr-2006-45.pdf

If you are using SQL Server 2008:
    FILESTREAM Overview

Quote Originally Posted by dportas
    Here's something to get you started:
    http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/64525/tr-2006-45.pdf

If you are using SQL Server 2008:
    FILESTREAM Overview

I stopped reading at

Only folklore is available regarding the tradeoffs
    Is that an empirical term?
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Folklore is of course empirical. Why wouldn't it be? The study goes on to give the experimental evidence.

The written style is probably due to the contribution of the brilliant and very sadly missed Dr Jim Gray who was always guaranteed to tell it the way it really is/was. I'm proud to name-drop the fact that I met him at a lunchtime meeting a few years ago and he was certainly the most inspiringly clever and knowledgeable person I have ever spoken to. Happy times

Kalen Delaney echoed a very similar sentiment in her blog when he died. Ta for the link - assimilating into our knowledge banks right now.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Thanks, I was looking at the BLOB paper , I will try and store some .wav / audio files and see if I can at least have a basic database.