Unanswered: How to Increase the Number of Devices

Hi All,

I have installed ASE 15 and Replication Server on same machine. There was some problem in Replication Server so i have to restart both the services of ASE and Replication Server. My Replication Server service is up and Running.

But when i tried to run the service of ASE it was not starting, givign the following error,

"The 'number of devices' specified in your config file is not high enough. It must not be less than the actual number of devices, which is '12'"

I tried to update the configuration file, made the number of devices=20 but still giving the same error.

any advice would be helpful in this...

Thanks in Advance,
    Sandeep

Re: How to Increase the Number of Devices

Hi Sandeep,
    Please re-check with your config file and permissions. And also check the Run_<Servername> whether it is using the same config parameter.

Regards,
    Naveen.
    Regards,
    Naveen.
    Sybase DBA-Consultant

Hi Naveen,

Thanks for your valuable reply. I have checked my configuration file, in that it is mentioned, "number of devices=default" but i have changed it to 20 and it is not showing me the changed value.

Also i have checked my Run_SYBASEREP batch file, in that there is no path of the configuration file.

Is there any other option?

Regards,
    Sandeep

sp_configure 'number of devices', 20
    go
    shutdown ASE
    restrart

Hi sudarao,

I have already changed the configuration parameter "number of devices to 20" and restarted the server, but at the time of restart i am getting the above mentioned error.

I tried to change manually in the cfg file but the no outcome.

Any other procedure to make the server up?

Regards,
    Sandeep

The ASE is apparently not using the config file, you are editing. If there is no path in your ASE's RUN file, it means the correct config file is on default location ($SYBASE I believe). Check how many config files you have in your installation directory. As mentioned above, also the wrong permissions may prevent ASE reading the file.

Hi jannovk,

Yes it is true the configuration file is in the root folder. There are around 18 files are created in my root filder which is $Sybase_ASE. I am logging with 'sa' permission, so i don't think thre is no issue with permission.

I tried to edit the all 18 files one by one and renamed it and then tried to run the batch file but still getting the same error.

Is there is anyother solution for this.

Regards,
    Sandeep

Yes, there is.
    In your RUN file, place in the line (I assume we are in unix environment)
    -cPathToYourConfigFlie \

PathToYourConfigFlie means exact path to the correct config file
    (like ie /sybase/1500/ASE-15/configfile.cfg)
    and modify the config file to contain all the settings you need. Then, start the ASE.

I always prefer to have paths to config and log files specified in RUN file

Hi jannovak,

I am working on the windows environment(winserver 2003). I have pested the path C:\Sybase_ASE\config.cfg file in the RUN file and it worked.

Thanks for your solution. But 1 question I am now afraid to restart the server If i restarted can it again affact to start the server again?

Thanks,
    Sandeep

I'm not sure what you mean. If you restart the ASE, it will start with same configuration as it is now. If you do any modification, it will be stored in the config file which is pointed to in RUN file.