Question Unanswered: secondary logging

What is the difference between MIRRORLOGPATH and LOGARCHMETH2? I know that both are used for secondary logging but then what was the use of having two different parameters for the same purpose. It has to have some difference then which I am not aware of.

Provided Answers: 5
    MIRRORLOGPATH is for primary logs and LOGARCHMETH2 is for archive logs.

Andy

By primary, I mean active logs.

Andy

thanks andy but i need more clarity on this

Quote Originally Posted by nittal
    thanks andy but i need more clarity on this
    First of all did you go through IBM Information Center for that
    IBM Certified Database Associate, DB2 9 for LUW

Active log means which are current being used by the Database. As it is very critical for DB operation we used to have mirror in different disk. If one disk fails, the other will be used by DB. MIRRORLOGPATH is used to specify the mirror for active logs.

Log files are used in the circular fashion, if one log file is full then it will be archived to the location specified in the LOGARCHMETH1 and if this location fails then it will use the location specified in LOGARCHMETH2.

I hope it clarified

Quote Originally Posted by thangaraju
    Log files are used in the circular fashion, if one log file is full then it will be archived to the location specified in the LOGARCHMETH1 and if this location fails then it will use the location specified in LOGARCHMETH2.

I hope it clarified
    This is not correct. Log files are used in a circular manner if archiving is NOT being performed. If archiving is being used then when an active log file is full and no longer needed it is archived and a new one is created. Also LOGARCHMETH1 and LOGARCHMETH2 are not used as indicated above. If both are turned on, then archiving goes to both locations. One does not have to fail before the other is used.

Andy

Andy, Yes I was wrong in my reply. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for making things clear. failarchpath is used for failover archive path.
    Last edited by thangaraju; 02-24-09 at 09:23.