Smile Unanswered: Oracle 10g Enterprise Manager Database Control

Hi all,

I have a server with one instance of Oracle, and 2 databases (live and test). I can use em in my browser window and it connects to my live database using a url like so:

http://gisserv:1143/em

However, I do not know how I can connect to my test database. I only have one Oracle Home directory, and one portlist.ini file, with one relevant port number. How does it know which database to connect to and how can I set both up? I know I can't view both through one session, but I must be able to see them separately surely?

Many thanks,
    Paula

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you can only connect to one database with DBConsole and can have only one DBConsole running per server.

I believe this is the main reason, in addition to the poor performance of DBConsole, that we switched to a global Grid Control instance and just run agents on the individual database servers.

Hope this helps,
    Patrick

Ah, this would make sense. I realised that you cannot see many databases within one db console, for that you need Grid Control, but I didn't know that you could not have more than one dbconsole per server.

Thanks,
    Paula

Sorry for the confusion. I don't know that you "Can't" have more than one DBConsole per server. In my shop we decided we didn't "want" more than one DBConsole running per server because of the performance impacts. The seperate DBConsoles did not play well together.

Patrick

You can use oracle grid to access your 2 db
    Mohammad Hasan Shaharear
    Blog: http://shaharear.blogspot.com

Provided Answers: 1
    It is possible to have more than one DBConsole running per server - we have 4 on one of ours (one per database).
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by cis_groupie
    It is possible to have more than one DBConsole running per server - we have 4 on one of ours (one per database).
    What OS are you running on and what version of the database? When we tried with 10.2.0.3 on AIX 5.2, we ran into a lot of performance issues and dbconsole hangs. That was with just two or three DBConsoles running. we have a couple of servers with 10-15 databases, so we went the Grid Control path instead.

Just intereted in hearing more on your experiences with dbconsole.

We're running 10gR2 on Windows 2K3. Admittedly we only rarely need to log on to more than 2 Db's at a time using DBConsole, and we do take a performance hit (but not enough to upset our users).

That said, I am also going down the GC path, as it's much less painful on the servers!
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.

Thanks for the reply. It's always helpful to hear how others are doing things.

Thanks for the reply
    No problem.

It's always helpful to hear how others are doing things
    Agreed!