Unanswered: Using SCADA-based systems to open an Access2003 form

Good morning to you all.

I am a rather freshly hatched programmer who got a small problem in my lap. Our client has an old scada system (I think it is Citect 5) which connects to a database which hold information regarding their industrial application. Unfortunatelly the previous programmer who created these systems for them and they have reached what might best be likened with some form of nuclear meltdown and now they have asked me if I could take a look at things for them.

The system in itself uses an access2000 database which was originally created to only hold information for export purposes (they export all raw data to excel where their economic department extracts the desired data into diagrams). Now however, they want this system to be able to display several statistics for the plant supervisors as well. Now I am not a very good VBA programmer so, not surprisingly I ran into problems more or less at once.

The database is now up and running with all new tables, queries and forms. Now I need to figure out how to open up these forms (the form only, not access itself. This was one of the demands from the client. The operator must not be able to alter the database or access it in any way other than display-only forms or reports) in VBA and this I cannot figure out (connecting VBA to Citect is apparently easy enough (?)).

So please. Is there anyone out there who knows which function I should start with to open forms or is this simply something I must write myself in cicode? If so, any helpful person who might feel inclined to give me a push in the right direction?

yours truly

Christian

In the Access help, take a look at 'switchboard'
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

Thank you for the reply. I'll check those links.

//Christian

Really, if you want to use access as the interface, supply a separate, 'front-end' database to the end users with only forms/reports/queries on it, which uses linked tables, linked to the existing database. You would want to distribute the front-end file as an MDE file, which the users cannot change.

Access can support quite a few remote users if they're not updating data. Just be sure you're making backups religiously, and regularly compact/repair the back end database.

The real issue with Access is the licensing. The clients must have Access installed. If you are using the developer edition, you can distribute a runtime version of Access with the .MDE file. The other approach would be to use VB as the front end, and distribute an executable as the client.
    Last edited by loquin; 03-06-09 at 12:41.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert