Conversion from binarry to ASCII

I need to convert a file in binary form to ASCII form. Can any body help me with the Unix script?
    Also, I will appreciate if any body can recommend/be of help on any good book on unix script for a beginner.
    Thanks

How should this conversion be done? Do you want to have the hex representation of the single bytes? You may want to have a look at the "hexdump" tool.
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development

Quote Originally Posted by shileola83
    I need to convert a file in binary form to ASCII form. Can any body help me with the Unix script?
    That tells us nothing about the file. You could try something like the following that will tell us what's in the file :

Code:
    head -2 MyFile | od -c

Quote Originally Posted by shileola83
    Also, I will appreciate if any body can recommend/be of help on any good book on unix script for a beginner.
    Thanks
    I'd recommend "Unix Programming Environment" by Kernighan but the "Unix in a nutshell" is also good but less inclined towards beginners.

The file is a raw CDR data from from HLR (Home Location Register) that needs to be converted to readable formart .
    Thanks

The only information I could find on HLR was this. Have you tried asking whoever supplied you with the data how you should read it or what the format it's in?

Binary file to readable format conversion

We are also facing a similar issue. Was this issue resolved then. We want to convert a ASN.1 binary file into readable one. The command OD doesnt convert the timestamp field appropriately. Any help would be high;y appreciated.

Thanks,
    Raju

This is a site that will convert the .cdr file(s):
    CONVERT COREL DRAW FILES ONLINE - Free Online File Conversion Services | Filespazz.com
    And this with this utility you should be able to view and/or convert them:
    CDR Viewer - CNET Download.com
    hth

File conversion

Thanks for the Response.

I am not able to use the utility as it says that the package is corrupted and some files may be missing.

Any other alternate pls.

Thanks,
    Raju