Unanswered: migrating from sql 2000 to sql 2008

hi

i'm new to database and don't have any background how to migrate etc.

My new tasks is that I'll migrate the databases from sql 2000 to sql 2008.
    I would like to know what shall I consider first before doing.
    My boss wanted me to write questions like:
    To whom is this database belong?
    What is it for?
    What is the status of this databank?
    Who's the programmer?
    and etc...

I'm not really sure what to do?
    Could you please give me more idea what's the best way to deal with it?
    Thank you and best regards

Sorry, but your boss is a fool.

Provided Answers: 11
    He wants you to go through and find out who is responsible for each database. who needs to be told when it will be down, and who will identify all of the "touch points" for each database. Put together an Excel spreadsheet, and start asking questions. Presumably, anything that does not have an owner can be turned off.

thanks for the input. I guess I'll start with Word or Excel but I'm not sure what to asks.
    hmm, you think what I wrote are enough?

Thanks again

Do you know what programmer is responsible for which database? Perhaps you should just go back to your boss.

no, he said even him he also don't know.

Your questions are a decent start although I'm not sure what "What is the status of this databank?" means. Status of the database - like online/offline or the metrics (size, number of objects, etc.)? Seems like you're being setup for failure by a clueless boss. Did your predecessor document anything? How did your boss become "the boss" if he doesn't know anything? The first thing I'd do is ensure that a backup routine is in place, then go about documenting as much as you can. Someone, somewhere has to have a clue as to what is going on. Best of luck.

Sounds like a candidate for a "scream test" to me.

hello thanks again for the input!
    yes that's the same question I also asked myself how did he became a boss if he dont know who's belong to whom!...
    hmm, i'll see. I already made an excel file and listed the questions I've got & showed it to him.
    he added also some points and questions to it and even corrected some of my questions.
    i don't know know yet how to deal with it. i think I have to learn how to do a backup a database, since I'm new to this. Does anybody knows any sites like just a crash course about database, back-up & restore stuffs like that etc...

I would really appreciate your help.
    thanks and regards

Do a search in this forum and see what's already been posted. I'm sure you'll find a lot of stuff that can/will help.
    Last edited by tosscrosby; 03-02-09 at 12:56.

ok thanks i will.

Quote Originally Posted by tintincute
    hello thanks again for the input!
    yes that's the same question I also asked myself how did he became a boss if he dont know who's belong to whom!...
    hmm, i'll see. I already made an excel file and listed the questions I've got & showed it to him.
    he added also some points and questions to it and even corrected some of my questions.
    i don't know know yet how to deal with it. i think I have to learn how to do a backup a database, since I'm new to this. Does anybody knows any sites like just a crash course about database, back-up & restore stuffs like that etc...

I would really appreciate your help.
    thanks and regards

Tin starting on this forum is one of the best things you can do, the guys here are an awesome help and very knowledgeable. They have been a wonderful help to me from the very beginning. They are very good to beginners. Search the forum you will find allot of info here