Unanswered: SQL Server 2000 and Clustering

Hi guys we got two exact same database on two differnt servers and it looks like its a fail over set up (mirroring) its running on sql server 2000. Trying to set up a backup for the main database but not sure which one it is. Cause the data gets written to one of the database just not sure which one it is. Is there a way to figure that out. we got mass 1 and mass 2 I would think it writes to mass1. So wouldnt we need to backup the database called Monitor on mass 1 if thats it??

Provided Answers: 11
    Sounds like you have either replication of some sort running here, or log shipping. Database mirroring was introduced not in SQL 2005, but in SQL 2005 SP1. Has Publishing and Distribution been set up on one or both of these machines?

it looks like from what I have seen thats whats going on?? Looks that way
    from what I'm reading here is what I have come across

The master and msdb system databases at the Publisher, Distributor and all Subscribers. These databases should be backed up at the same time as each other and the relevant replication database. For example, back up the master and msdb databases at the Publisher at the same time you back up the publication database. If the publication database is restored, ensure that the master and msdb database are consistent with the publication database in terms of replication configuration and settings.
    Last edited by desireemm; 02-24-09 at 16:04.

Check in Enterprise Manager to see if there is a section for publications under any of the databases. If there is, see if it has anything in it.

Well he is the only one that can get in, seems like he wants to do it himself or something I dont know. I'll just let him do it, he asked for my help and showed him where to go and how to backup and how you find look for replication. But he wants to handle it himself so, thanks anyways Mccrowley

Tell him to point the gun at the smallest toe. It will hurt the least.

thats ok I like to learn these things for myself, it will increase my knowlege in SQL Server. Lets say I look and find out replicaiton is in place. Would I not have to backup the Publisher, Distributor and all Subscribers all at the sametime? If replication is in place?

<obligatory>Well, it depends.</obligatory>

If the subscriber is a proper subset of the publisher (meaning it contains no data that is not published to it), then you can just restore the publisher, and reinitialize the publication. I have to admit, I have never restored a publisher, or subscriber, so I do not know all of the problems you will face. Sounds like an exercise for a lab, to me.

I think your right, sounds like I need to do this on the test server and see what happens