Thread: cause of error

Question Unanswered: cause of error

Hi all,
    I was not able to start my db2 service. When checked in the ‘event Viewer’ I showed the following as the warning message.

The description for Event ID ( 5 ) in Source ( DB2 ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event:
    2009-02-26-12.55.10.568000 InstanceB2 Node:000
    PID:3900(db2syscs.exe) TID:1972 Appid:none
    routine_infrastructure sqlerInitFmpHeap Probe:60

ADM11003E DB2 failed to create the memory segment used for communication with
    fenced routines. If restarting DB2, ensure that no db2fmp processes are active
    on the instance prior to start. Otherwise, you can adjust the value through the
    DB2_FMP_COMM_HEAPSZ registry variable, or you can decrease the value of
    ASLHEAPSZ in the database manager configuration.

I checked the value set for ASLHEAPSZ and DB2_FMP_COMM_HEAPSZ which were set to as below
    Application support layer heap size (4KB) (ASLHEAPSZ) = 15
    DB2_FMP_COMM_HEAPSZ was not set (I don’t know the default value for this)
    As I didn’t knew the effect of changing the values for above two parameters, I tried the first solution of deactivating all the db2fmp processes and now the service started successfully.
    I just needed to know:
    1. The root-cause of this error so that these kinds of warning messages will not be thrown in future?
    2. What is the role of above two parameters?
    3. Where will be the impact of changing the value of above two parameters?
    4. Why there were large numbers of db2fmp processes running in the background though the service was stopped? Aren’t they killed automatically when the service stops?

db2fmp can be left behind after an abnormal instance shutdown. Removing them prior to restarting the instance should resolve the error. About the error:

It indicates FMP heap size problem. DB2_FMP_COMM_HEAPSZ can accomodate 2 * ASLHEAPSZ * number of active db2fmps. To resolve the error (assuming there are no leftover fmps):

1) decrease ASLHEAPSZ (if it's set high)
    2) increase FMP heap size by setting registry DB2_FMP_COMM_HEAPSZ
    3) both 1 and 2

You can find some additional info about these parameters here:
    Solve common problems with DB2 UDB Java stored procedures