Need Experts Help here: How to approach?

Hi all...

I'm new to database designs and I have recently taken up a project regarding DB design but I am not sure how to start. I'm hoping you experts out here could provide some help and guidance to me as my project has a very tight deadline... (2 weeks from now)

Basically, I am to design a DB to support an application. This application is intended to be used as a support for navigation system for mobile phone users.

A description of the application: The user is in an unfamiliar city, he switches on the camera function on his phone and starts the application. First, through GPS technology, the phone will locate the users location and the city he is in. He then input a particular location he is interested in and the application will then navigate the user to his location using the screen of his mobile phone.

Basically its an application which uses the camera function of the phone to guide the user to a particular location.

This application is in design phase and what is needed here is a proposal of how to design the DB to suit this application.

What I was given to start was many panoramic images of a city at a certain point of the city. I am to expand and design this database to ease the operation of this application.

For certain, I would need a database of all interesting location in the city to enable the user to search for the location.

I have read something about Spatial DB too but I dun seem to understand that and its link to my project. So, I am seeking help from any experts out there who can solve my problem... Ty so much!

If somemore information is needed please let me know again! Thz!

Need Experts Help here
    I'm no expert but I'm bored and I suppose everything is relative

I'm new to database designs and I have recently taken up a project regarding DB design but I am not sure how to start. I'm hoping you experts out here could provide some help and guidance to me as my project has a very tight deadline... (2 weeks from now)
    It doesn't sound promising does it - I'll assume that what's required from your database is much simpler than you're making out otherwise your f***ed.

What I was given to start was many panoramic images of a city at a certain point of the city. I am to expand and design this database to ease the operation of this application.
    How do you intend to use these images in your database? is it just to show what a particular place of interest looks like? but then why did you get a whole load of images from a certain point though?

So, I am seeking help
    I'd find out exactly what the real developers are expecting from your database and then list these items for us. I'll make a wild guess though and assume your application will just get the users GPS co-ordinates. From that it works out what the nearest city is. From there it can either list all the places of interest in that city or, if there's too many places of interest, it will list the types of places of interest ie museums, art galleries, train stations etc and from there you'd list all the museums etc.

To model just that should be straightforward:
    City: id, name, gps
    PlacesOfInterest: city_id, interest_type, gps, name, photo, web_link
    InterestType: name (ie museums, art galleries, train stations)
    But
    • I assume that the app could get the user to the place of interest if it has the gps co-ords.
    • You'll probably want to include country rather than just city.
    • It might be worth thinking about languages to.
    • Perhaps you could store the cost, opening hours and a web link of the place of interest.
    • You could also remember what types of places a user is normally interested in and then show places like these by default whenever he starts the application.
    • Perhaps you could consider storing feedback on these places.
    • Perhaps add option to just show all the places within walking distance of any type (though I appreciate that anywhere is within walking distance if you have the time).

Hi Mike...

Hey thz for the reply...

Hmmm your answers actually gave me some more ideas... Haha... will expand on that to see what I can make out of it...

Actually I have already did some work on the project already but I'm kinda stuck that is why I need more ideas to keep me flowing... Any reply is appreciated!

The images there are actually for image matching to see where the user currently is facing or something like that. (Kinda similar to the Google Maps street roam function) Its kinda needed to actually map match the user to a certain location on the map.

As I mentioned its actually a project on development and the developers are actually other students and we are not expected to create the application out. Its only a proposal of the design of the database.

But anyway thank you so much... But I was hoping someone could actually point me to how spatial database can be of use to my project.

As I was writing the 1st post in a hurry that I might miss alot of things... I will try asap to put everything up...

Thz all!

Quote Originally Posted by serph
    As I mentioned its actually a project on development and the developers are actually other students
    I think the most important thing you missed out was the fact that you were a student and that this is homework. Many of us on the forum get quite tired of doing students homework for them. Obviously the idea of having projects is to see how you approach a novel problem. If the 1st thing you do is to ask for help on a forum then it might indicate you're on the wrong course.

I guess you could use image matching to find out where you are in a city but I'd guess the GPS function might prove a lot easier to implement. Regards the spatial databases try this site.

Currently I have a few tables which I think is related to the application:
    i) User Location Table (ULT)
    ii) Places of Interest Table (PIT)

The Current Impression I have on the application and its interaction with the database...

First, when the user starts the application, the phone will obtain the user GPS coordinate, stores it in the (ULT) as 1 of the data. Then when he does a search of a place of interest, the application will do a name match of the place with the (PIT) and then extract the GPS coordinate of the location.

Then, the application will match the image on the screen to the panoramic database, thus obtaining some angle relative to the north of the panoramic image.

With these few factors, a series of calculation is done to navigate the user to his destination.

But I kinda feel that the current DB I have now is too little to support the application.

Do I need to have a 2D top view map DB to track the users location, if yes how do I do it?

Haha Thz mike...

Yah I know you all are tired of doing students homework...

I actually only approached this forum with only 2 weeks left...

I have already done work on it and was hoping that people here can provide me with more ideas and stuff...

I do not intend to find a solution here...

Cause I'm the only person now doing this project... I have no 1 to talk to it about except u all .... Haha thz...

But if u dun feel like answering those questions above... its totally all right...

I'm just searching an alternative and hope some1 can help me expand my views... anyway thz mike!