Unanswered: Unable to connect to sql server on my laptop

I want to connect to (on my laptop) Sql Server Management Studio Express but in the connect window it is asking for Server Name which I do not know. I tried entering SQLEXPRESS but am getting an error msg:
    An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.(Provider: Name Pipes Provider, error:40 - could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SWL Server Error: 53) What name should I enter?

Hi,

If your Sql Server instance is "named instance", server name is:

ComputerName\InstanceName
    (InstanceName: The name you enter during setup.)

If it is "default instance", server name is:

ComputerName

Please share the results with us.

wow thanks

Just want to thank you for the help. I entered my computer name and that is working. During setup I did not get a request for a name. Now my question is, it is possible to go and change the name instance? Or should I just use my computer name. For sure I do not want to mess anything.

My English is not perfect, I can try to explain.

During the setup, you meet a screen like this:
    http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/4...ancesecimi.png

You can choose a default instance. But you can only choose default instance one time. Suppose that you load Sql Server 2005 and select default instance. And then you try to load Sql Express Edition. You must select named instance and give a name where you write it in textbox.

I don't know whether there is a way. The main thing of your problem is Sql Server protocols. If you don't write server's real name (like ComputerName), it is impossible to have connection for remoting. Because Sql Server uses Shared Memory Protocols if you use ip or (.) in server name.

I hope I can tell something with my bad English.

Thanks for the information. I was able to connect by specifying the name of my computer. I think I saw the screen you sent the link but am not sure what I did at that point in time.
    Now the problem is that I downloaded Adventure Works database and am not able to attach it or connect it with the SQL Server 2005 Express Edition. I cannot even find it on my laptop even though I downloaded it and installed it!

How to I import data from AdventureWorks to SQL server 2005

I downloaded Adventure Works database and am not able to attach/import the data or connect it with the SQL Server 2005 Express Edition. I cannot even find it on my laptop even though I downloaded it and installed it! Where did it get installed ...I am talking about AdventureWorks

If I understand you, you can't find the database(Adventure Works).

First, stop Sql Server. I can explain how to do.
    Start-Control Panel-Administrative Tools-Computer Management-Services and Applications(the last node)-Services
    You meet a list of services. You can find Sql Server Express Edition in the list. Right click- Stop it.

Second, open Sql Server. In object explorer, right click the database node. Find the "attach" option.(Now I don't have got sql server, so I cannot give you full path). If you click "attach", you will meet a screen. Press "Add" button is bottom of the screen. You will see another screen. Find Adventure Work database's .mdf file(where you load). Find it and press "OK".

After all, return and start Sql Server again. (Start-Control Panel-Administrative Tools-Computer Management-Services and Applications(the last node)-Services-right click to Sql Server EXpress and press "start").

I hope I understand your question well, if not try to explain simply please.

please refer BOL for SQL server 2005 for changing the SQL server name using sp_dropserver and sp_addserver syntax

hi thanks ...
    i was facing same prob... i dnt get any sol.. until i found ur post...
    thanks once gain...