Thread: App 'Upgrade'

Unanswered: App 'Upgrade'

Hi Folks,

I'm bidding on contract to produce a couple of Access apps for a university. Their 'preferred choice' is Access 2007 but I only have 2003 and have read in the forum that 2007 ain't so hot. How much of an issue is it to develop it in 2003 and use the client's machine and 'upgrade' it to a 2007 app?

Thanx, Stu
    --If its free, take it for what its worth!

It's not that 2007 "aint so hot". It's that Microsoft radically moved everything around in 2007 so those of us who are used to the menu system in 2003 and previous versions, find it very difficult to navigate around in 2007.

It like they had a whole new development crew developing 2007 without any thought at all about those of us who have used older versions.

Many people who have never used MSAccess actually like 2007. Those who've used previous versions seem to dislike 2007. It's the same with the entire Office 2007. For example, I used to have to coach my parents daily on how to do things with Office 2003. Now they're using Office 2007 and they haven't called me once.

If you've used MSAccess 2003 to some extent for development, plan on a learning curve just to navigate around in 2007. From my experience, I went from 2000 to 2003 without any new learning curve (and I've been developing almost daily in MSAccess since the early 1990's). It's taken me about 2-3 weeks just to learn how to navigate in 2007 and I'm still learning. I spend half my time just searching for the "wizard" on how to do something and then figuring out how to bypass the wizard (which a lot of us "oldie" developers like to do.)

But it was the same way for SQL Server 2000 versus SQL Server 2005.

It's like night and day between a lot of pre 2005 Microsoft products.

I will admit though that I do like a few things that were changed in MSAccess 2007 and once you learn to navigate, there are some advantages.

Other than that, as with any usual upgrade, you'll find some of your coding which used to work no longer works in the newer version. Especially customized dll, activeX, class modules, and other stuff like that. Some little changes are considered major for some developers while some major changes are considered as little changes for others.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 02-28-09 at 23:39.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

If you use Access 2007, ensure the Office SP1 is loaded. I agree with pkstormy, the User Interface is pretty good. Drop-down menus are out but you can use a Form based Menuing system instead. I've even had the forums where you find things initially although now I just have to remember which section of the Ribbon to look.

The only issue I found was DAO v's DAO in VB, everthing is now DAO.

Simon