Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Image Database...

Hihi all...

I just wanna find out from you guys that if anyone knows anything about Image Database?

I have tried searching on Google and stuff but I cant seem to find anything about Image Database...

Anyone can help me??

Anything on Image Database will help...
    Any Articles or explanation will do... Thz...

You'll need to be a bit more specific if you want someone to help you with this problem. The way you've phrased the question makes it practically impossible to answer.

A more specific question would help a lot. If you can't forumulate a specific question, then I'll start off a game of "twenty questions" to help you isolate the number of possible ansers down to a more managable level.

Are you looking for a database of images (pictures), or a product called "Image" ?

-PatP

Opps okok Sorry then...

Well bascially...

the problem is that I have a huge amount of images...

Which program (as in MS Access? Or Oracle) is able to efficiently be used to store these images and index them?

Can they be compressed for faster retrieval?

Oracle, SQL Server, any of the major DBMSs. They can all manage large objects in the database. Compression is highly dependent on the type of image. JPG is already compressed and so won't reduce much if you compress it again.

The fact that you are considering Access alongside Oracle suggests to me that you are a very long way from deciding what you want to achieve. Those products do completely different things and have very little in common. Have you thought about your intended architecture, what kind of data volumes, transaction volumes and service levels you need to support? Choice of development platform and tools should come after that.

the problem is that I have a huge amount of images...
    The other option is not to store the images directly in the database at all but to simply store them in the file system and store pointers in the database to them. A similar topic was covered in this post.

Quote Originally Posted by dportas
    The fact that you are considering Access alongside Oracle suggests to me that you are a very long way from deciding what you want to achieve.
    Haha... Sorry for being such a noob...

I'm quite new to database and I have actually only used MS Access and MYSQL only...

the others I have absolutely no idea whats the difference like... That is why I mention those 2 at random...

Quote Originally Posted by dportas
    Have you thought about your intended architecture, what kind of data volumes, transaction volumes and service levels you need to support?
    To be honest... I have absolutely no idea watcha talking about Haha but I will find out... Thz for the advice...

And Mike, yah... I have though about the pointers idea... thz... I will take a look at the post...

Love ya all haa

Oh - and you forgot to point out you're a student again.

Yah I am a student but this is not related to the work already...

Its another paper thing....

Yes I am a student but going to be one no more...

That project is a final year project which I started doing since eh... 2008?

Its finishing soon...

For the image database... Its another matter already...

Seriously is it very very bad that a student ask about a question of his homework here??

I mean... ok... I didnt know if there is such a rule here but... I tot this place is to ask questions?

If there is really such a rule saying that students should not ask questions here then... ok I shall not ask anymore of my work...

I know the point of students being asked to do homework here and the point is to let the student learn... but isnt asking questions here and people pointing them out to them also helps them to learn?

hmmm I not sure...

Students asking questions is fine.
    Students pretending they are not students is not fine.
    Students asking for their homework to be done for them is not fine.

If you are clear you are a student, you put in the work and just look for no more than tips and guidance, you will do fine here.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

to me someone crosses the line when they demand someone does their work for them. Im all for students asking for help or guidance on a tricky problem, but they have to make a good effort, it has to be clear that they have tried to get a solution for themsleves.

<rant>the classic student problem is "help I need this by tomorrow morning, I'll paypal sopmeone X".

another is someone who wants validation of their work before they submit it. eg "I'm not quite to sure whether this is normalised properly."

theres nowt wrong with being a newbie (we have all been there at some stage), but many newbies keep coming back to this (and other) forums and asking similar questions... they haven't learned a key problem solving skills.... often they have also failed to find the key resources (eg help files, manuals or websites). often the subtext is "I'm to busy/important to waste my time looking things up, I'll try and find a mug to do it for me"

another is the "can you just give this a once over", or "does this SQL look right"...... by the time the poster has typed out the question and waited for a response (which may never come) they could have easily run the SQL and if it didn't work they could then work through the reasons why id didn't work, or try to work out a problem solving technique to get it to work by running individual bits of SQL in a tool appropriate to their SQL engine</rant>

unless you are runnign say a delete or update query there is precious little that can go wrong in SQL.. just ruin the SQL an learn as you go along what individual bits mean
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

hmmm ok i get it....

Thz...

I hope I did not piss any1 off...

Well if I do... I'm terribly sorry!!

Will take note...

Seriously is it very very bad that a student ask about a question of his homework here??
    The idea of homework is for the teacher to find out how well you understand what's been taught. If you simply copy all your homework from another student do you think :
    • that's honest?
    • going to do you any good when it comes to exams?
    • going to help you when you finally come to work in the industry?
    Getting your homework done by us is just as foolish. There's also the small matter of you wasting our time just so you don't have to put any effort in yourself.

If you are stuck on a subject, and have tried to solve it yourself and have asked your lecturer, then feel free to ask away. If however you just wait until your coursework is due and then start posting urgent questions on the forum then it's kind of obvious that you don't know how to manage your time and that you have little knowledge of the course you're studying. If this is the case then you could save yourself (or your parents) a lot of money by giving up now. If this isn't the case then why not try and do your own homework yourself.

Mike... Relax...

If I have done something wrong I apologise...

But rest assure this wont happen again...
    Basically...

I have already done my work on it and i will be completing my project soon... I just felt that since its the end and I have some time left... I hope to add some more information into it and asked my friends abt it, they mentioned that there are alot of experts out there in forums that might be of help that why I decided to try searching for it and here I am...

This is the 1st forum that I really got involve in and I didnt know of such things like this...

I know that I have limited experience in forums and knowledge in my field of work and that I might ask stupid questions, but I was just hoping that people might be more calm and relax when answering or telling me its a stupid question.

Mike I know that u have come across many ppl like me and u hate it... but I'm new and stuff... and I felt really intimidated by your replies now... I understand your anger, just that I might not be able to take it...

Well like I say I am going to graduate soon and I will not post questions further more...

I felt that I am being classified as some students who dun do their work at all and pass their homework to you guys, well maybe I have given u the wrong impression or wat... Its my fault and I apologise.

Think I will just read on existing posts and stuff... thz all for your help...

Quote Originally Posted by Serph
    Mike I know that u have come across many ppl like me and u hate it... but I'm new and stuff... and I felt really intimidated by your replies now... I understand your anger, just that I might not be able to take it...
    There's no need to feel intimidated - it's just you asked why folks dislike students posting their homework and I simply explained why. As pointed out by the others, all you have to do is just mention that you're a student and explain what work you've done yourself before asking your question and then everyone (including me) will be more than happy to help out.