Unanswered: Help with an Asset Tracking database

Hi,

I'm new to Access but have an understanding of programming (although Java not vb).

I am making my own Asset Tracking database for an events company. Basically the tables that exist are: Assets, Products, Events and Clients. An Asset is an object confirming to the specifications of a certain product. A product may have many assets, but any asset can have only one product. Products get assigned to jobs (Events) and then asset numbers get assigned to those products that the event requires. The Asset table has a field "Product" which is a reference to its parent product.

Additionally, I felt the need to introduce groups; specifically, I have "Product Group" and "Asset Group" tables. My idea was that if Assets are physically linked and this link cannot be broken when asset assignments are made, then these assets are said to belong to a common Asset Group. Assets are locked to an Asset Group through a "Locked to" field.

"Product Groups" are groups of independent assets which work coherently to serve a purpose. A very basic (and rather ridiculous) example would be a Product Group "Kettle" which is the parent of two items: "kettle appliance" and "kettle cord". Products are "Locked to" Product Groups, but this lock is not as concrete as the Asset Group lock, as it plausible that individual items from a Product Group may be requested (such as spare unit or expansion units).

So far I have had some trouble with my "Asset Details" form. This form has the following page tabs: Asset Details, Comments, Product Details, Asset Group Details, Current Location.

I am up to (and stuck on) the Product Details page. As an asset contains only the Product ID of its parenting product, details such as make and model must be looked up. I thought the easiest way to do this would be with a query ([Asset Query]![Model]) but this always returns "#Name!" for some unknown reason. I have found that the DLookup function works, but is very slow.

Additionally, when I set up DLookup functions on the Product Details and Asset Group details pages to look up from different tables, only one set of data (either the lookup data from Products or the lookup data from Asset Group) appears. Whichever tab I click on first, that data appears, and the other fields in the other tab stay blank until I reopen the form.

Another thing I am trying to do is have it so that for the user to select which Product the asset belongs to, they click a "Search" button which opens a new form from which the user can enter a search term and fiter through products. I understand the search and filtering and opening a form from a button. But how do I make links in the search form for the user to "select" that product, and return it to the Asset Details form?

Thanks for all your help,
    Much appreciated.

Ok I read another post on the forum saying you want directly refer to a query, but how can I speed up the Dlookup function?

And Im still having problems with the two different dlookups

*bump*

any ideas anyone???

Provided Answers: 59
    sorry may sound dumb, but if you are used to using Java, why not stick to using Java?
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

I wasn't aware you could use Java in Microsoft Access? Even if you can, I'm still not sure of the syntax to reference form elements

Provided Answers: 59
    no Im not suggestiong you use JAVA in Access, however you can access virtually any DB from JAVA using the appropriate ODBC driver and suitable GUI interface in SWING or AWT
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

i'm not that proficient in java, i just have some experience in it.

i am quite content with using access and vb. i just want to learn how to do it properly.