Unanswered: combo box experiment, where did i go wrong?

Hi guys,

Ive been trying to get my teeth into the cascading combo box, so i created a little table to see if i can do it.

In the form i have 2 combo boxes the 1st combo box row source is to the table and the 2nd combo rowsouce i have put this statement

SELECT TblName.* FROM TblName WHERE Area='" & cmb1 & "';"

im trying to filter out so the 2nd combo only shows the names from a a certain area.

but the box is comming out blank.. ive attached the database. any ideas guys?

thanks

Aboo
    Attached Files Attached Files

Aboo

In your first combo box you need to add the word DISTINCT for your row source of this control so that only 1 display is shown for each value of the Area currently you have many 1s and 2s displayed the row source should be
    SELECT distinct TblName.Area FROM TblName ORDER BY TblName.Area;

For your second combo box you need to reference the control of cmb1 e.g. forms!form1!cmb1. The following code will concatenate the first last name into one field and only display the records that have the selected Area.
    SELECT [CLName] & " " & [cfname] AS emp_name FROM TblName WHERE (((TblName.Area)=[forms]![form1]![cmb1])) ORDER BY [CLName] & " " & [cfname];

You will need to make changes to the layout as required.

Various contributors have sites that have examples of cascading combo boxes.

If have attached an updated version of your example using the above code.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Poppa,

I have noticed though when i change the area in cmb1 the values still remain the same in cmb2

do i need to somehow requery?

Thanks

Aboo

Poppa,

Did you create a variable called emp_name ? if it isnt can you please explain what it is please...

regards

Aboo

Put the following code in the GOT FOCUS of cmb2, thiswill requery cmb2 when it gets the focus.

Private Sub cmb2_GotFocus()
    DoCmd.Requery "cmb2"
    End Sub

Have a look at the query for the record source of cmb2, emp_name is the alias for the concatenation of the person's name.

Tanksyou Popps, your a star!